View previous topic | View next topic

Football

Page 1 of 18
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

djgordy
174837.  Wed May 16, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote

I'm not particularly a fan but many people are so it could prove a popular subject.

Topics could include:

Origins of the sport with mention of traditional games such as the Ashbourne Shrovetide.

Variations on the game such as soccer, rugger, American and Australian Rules.

Klaxons for everyone when they say that "soccer" is an American word.

soup
174861.  Wed May 16, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

Klaxons for everyone when they say that "soccer" is an American word.

Corruption of "assosciation" isn't it?

Assosciation -> Assoc-> Socca-> Soccer.

Or is that urban myth and I deserve klaxoning

suze
174899.  Wed May 16, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

No, and no. Absolutely right soup. For a time in the 1890s, it was sometimes spelled "socker".

Etymonline's piece on the matter made me chuckle though. It solemnly declares

"cf. rugger, but they hardly could have taken the first three letters of Assoc".

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=soccer

djgordy
174919.  Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote

Football joke (which some people may have read before but here it is for the newbies):

Which three football teams have rude words in their names?

Arsenal, Scunthorpe United and Manchester F***ing United.

Was Luther Blissett mentioned in the "B" series? He would certainly be worth a mention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Blissett_%28nom_de_plume%29

Also, Giles 'Gil' Heron, the father of Gil Scott Heron, who was the first black player to appear for Glasgow Celtic.

Ian Dunn
177576.  Thu May 24, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote

Here's something quite interesting, and it's about my favourite club, Middlesbrough.

In 1905, Alf Common moved from Sunderland to Boro for 1,000, which was back then the world record for the most money paid for a football player. One MP at the time said in Parliament said, "Where will it all end?"

Source: The Little Book of Middlesbrough, edited by Philip Tallentire.

Mr Grue
177578.  Thu May 24, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote

Which is the only football team whose name cannot have any of its letters filled in?

dr.bob
177589.  Thu May 24, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote

hull city

Or even HULL CITY

It works in both upper and lower case.

Although you should probably specify a league team, or there'll doubtless be some other team out there playing in some very obscure division.

Mr Grue
177592.  Thu May 24, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote

A point well made.

AlmondFacialBar
177600.  Thu May 24, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote

who invented the penalty?

who invented the penalty shoot-out?

which was the first international tournament that was won on penalties? bonus point: who won?

which was the first world cup match that was won on penalties? bonus point: who won?

which is the world's most successful nation in penalty shoot-outs? bonus point: which percentage of theirs did they win?

anyone else think of some qi penalty questions?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
177631.  Thu May 24, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote

More penalty shoot-out stats than you probably want can be found here.
In answer to the questions posed above:

1. The invention of the penalty kick is generally credited to William McCrum, an Ulsterman who was a linen manufacturer and part-time goalkeeper. The new rule came into force for the 1891-92 season.

2. It depends who you ask. Most people would say it was a former referee from Germany called Karl Wald, but there are some people who claim that an Israeli named Yosef Dagan invented the shoot-out after Israel were eliminated from the 1968 Olympic football tournament at the semi-final stage on the toss of a coin.

3. I think that would be the European Championship final of 1976, when Czechoslovakia beat West Germany 5-3 after a 2-2 draw.

4. I don't know about qualification, but the first match in the finals to be decided on penalties was the 1982 semi-final between West Germany and France. After a 3-3 draw, the Germans won 5-4 on penalties.

5. Assuming we're discounting those teams that have only taken part in one shoot-out and won it, then my answer would be Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic, who have won 3 out of 3.
England's record is a rather poor 1 victory in 6 attempts. On the plus side, though, I was at the game where we won on penalties (Euro 96 quarter-final against Spain at Wembley).

AlmondFacialBar
177637.  Thu May 24, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote

all correct, except for the last one. the correct answer is germany, who have never lost an international penalty shoot out since the world cup semi one in 1982. well done otherwise. ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
177655.  Thu May 24, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote

The Germany answer seems a little odd. Germany / West Germany has actually lost twice on penalties in a full international - to Czechoslovakia in the final of the 1976 European Championship, and to Sweden in a tournament held in Berlin in 1988.

The Czechs have lost as well though - to Croatia in the King Hassan II tournament in Morocco in 1996.

In fact, the answer looks as if it may be Angola, which has won all six penalty shootouts in which it has been involved.

Loads of information on the matter here, although be aware that the figures include a fair number of games not recognised as full internationals - I had a guess a little bit as to which of those shown were really amateur internationals.

AlmondFacialBar
177661.  Thu May 24, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The Germany answer seems a little odd. Germany / West Germany has actually lost twice on penalties in a full international - to Czechoslovakia in the final of the 1976 European Championship, and to Sweden in a tournament held in Berlin in 1988.

The Czechs have lost as well though - to Croatia in the King Hassan II tournament in Morocco in 1996.

In fact, the answer looks as if it may be Angola, which has won all six penalty shootouts in which it has been involved.

Loads of information on the matter here, although be aware that the figures include a fair number of games not recognised as full internationals - I had a guess a little bit as to which of those shown were really amateur internationals.

the germany answer refers to major international tournaments, i.e. world and european cups. in those they (we, hehe) haven't lost by penalties since 1982. sorry, should have made myself clearer.

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
177676.  Thu May 24, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

D'oh! Fancy not knowing that.

<hangs head in shame>

AlmondFacialBar
177891.  Fri May 25, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote

btw, does anyone know how many kinds of football are out there? it seems we've all happily homed in on association football here, presumablyy because most of us are from places where that's the predominant kind that's played, but what about the others? other football games i can think of:

rugby union, rugby league, gaelic, australian, international rules, american, five a side, seven a side, indoors, futsal, three sided, beach.

anyone know any others?

question: how many kinds of football are there? bonus point: name them!

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 18
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next