View previous topic | View next topic

Bees and Wasps (part 2)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

AndyMcH
281687.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote

[quote="smiley_face"]

Wasp stings, on the other hurt. A lot. Especially when they sting you on your writers lump on the day of a three hour English exam. (Bastards).

quote]

When they sting you WHERE ??

RICKY66
281939.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote

smiley face wrote:
Quote:
I don't really recall being bitten by mosquitoes or gnats in the UK. Granted, mosquito bites are annoying, but they just itch a bit, and that's it. Apart from the risk of malaria in tropical zones, they really aren't a problem, certainly not in the UK.

You've probably been bitten by mosquitoes and gnats more times than you think. Unless you have spent most of your life indoors. There are over 1600 known species.
Yes wasp stings hurt, more when your a child I seem to recall, a bit of vinegar and the pain goes in about 5 - 10 mins.
I have had worse insect bites that swell to golf ball diameter size, that ooze puss for days after. The skin gets hard and tight. And even worse when you have 3 or 4 on each leg at the same time. I would love to know what causes those?

smiley_face
281948.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote

TubewayAndy - Your writers lump is a callous which forms on your finger where your pen rests. For people who hold a pen normally, this will be on their middle finger, but I write weirdly, so it's on my fourth finger.

And RICKY, I am well aware that there are lots of mosquitos in the UK, I just don't get bitten by them very often. When I travelled in Africa, I got bitten quite a few times, and even then, they were distinctly less annoying than a wasp sting - you merely held a lit match or lighter close to the bite and it stopped itching.

96aelw
282133.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote

I'd rate mosquito bites as more annoying, myself; granted a lone mosquito bite is much less uncomfortable than a wasp sting, but I've always found them to be a much more frequent occurrence. Damn things must take nearly an armful sometimes. Wasp stings, by contrast, I've always found very hard to come by. I've only managed to rack up the two, and both of those were from wasps who had already shuffled off this mortal coil (despite, I'm sure, the best efforts of the doctors at the waspital).

smiley_face
282140.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm one of those people who doesn't get bitten by mosquitos very often. There does seem to be a trend - some people are far more susceptible to bites than others. I knew of one guy who had been travelling in Sub-Saharan Africa for 3 months, never wore repellent, and only got bitten twice. I, on the other hand, coated myself in DEET each evening, wore long sleeves, and still managed to acquire quite a collection of bites.

From what I can gather from Googling, the general consensus for the reason for this is down to both genetics and diet. If you eat more of a particular food group, it will emanate from your pores and create a smell which mosquitoes may find more or less attractive. Genetics also seems to play an important part. A 2001 study at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research in Brisbane, Australia used the results of a study of mosquito bites in identical and non-identical twins to conclude that 85 per cent of human mosquito "attractiveness" is genetic in origin.

S: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/10/the_odd_body_mosquitos/

maiden
282143.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Does anybody here know if wasps, bees, gnats, midgies, etc, seem to prefer one person over another person, to sting or bite?

Just wondering because I hardly ever get 'bitten' and I've never ever been stung by a bee or a wasp ... whereas, other people I know seem to have been stung many times and are plagued by midgies when they go out hill walking.
Also, having spent time in many different countries (where some of the 'beasties' are huge and can kill), I never really attracted many of them (that's a good thing), while other people who were with me just went through days of agony getting bitten or stung (and some needing emergency medical treatment).

So, do we all send out a different smell? ... or vibration ?? ... or is it just the type of perfume/aftershave/deodorant somebody uses which will attract them?

:)

Sadurian Mike
348833.  Fri May 30, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Don't worry,
Bee happy.

Bondee
348843.  Fri May 30, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote

I saw that pic in Metro on the way to work yesterday. I think it looks more sinister than happy.

Sadurian Mike
348845.  Fri May 30, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
I saw that pic in Metro on the way to work yesterday. I think it looks more sinister than happy.

It's probably happy being sinister. With sound you could hear its evil bee megavillain laugh.

"BWahahahahah.. bzzzz."

merisalam
588881.  Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote

Malaria, How long after a mosquito has bitten someone with malaria does it take to spread the parasite? E.G. If a mozzie bite you and you had malaria then how long would the parasite have to incubate in the mozzie before it bite me and I got malaria. Thanks.

Last edited by merisalam on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Sadurian Mike
589337.  Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote

A few days. The blood travels to the mosquito's mid-gut where it reproduces like billy-o and moves to the circulatory system, eventually passing to the saliva glands where it is passed on to the next creature bitten.

swot
610337.  Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote

How long does it take for wasps to die?

I had a glass off apple juice this weekend, which attracted the attention of four wasps. After the glass was put down on to the worktop, on ewasp wen straight for it and ended up floating in the juice, with the other three circling round it. I left the room for about 10 mins, and on returning saw that three of the buggers had decided to take a swim. The all looked reasonably healthy, and I couldn't tell if they were fighting each other or trying to escape. I poured the juice down the sink, thinking they would go with it, but two of them tried to climb back up, despite the tap running. I was weirded out and impressed at the samte time.

bemahan
610378.  Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote

They don't take long to die when you squash them with a napkin :)

Jeremy Clarkson wrote this article about wasps

Nanoose
977452.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Well once I accidentally cut a Yellow Jacket ground nest in half with a gas powered brush saw. I got swarmed and eventually went into a panic and started running - I was running towards Rose Wall cliff which would of been a 80 foot drop and I would of fell threw wild roes buses all the way down. Plus when a Yellow Jacket stings you the stinger they leave in you acts as a chemical homing device so the Yellow Jackets would have been able to find me and sting me all the way down.
What I think is real interesting is Yellow Jackets can sting you about 5 times before their stinger breaks off and they die. But the first Yellow Jacket that stings you purposely breaks its stinger off the first time so that the chemical homing thing can get started and the rest of the Yellow Jackets can find you (or what ever animal is endangering the hive). Cheers!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2