View previous topic | View next topic

Movie flops worth seeing

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

CB27
917670.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote

Following on from sally carr's thread, what about films that flopped in the box office, or weren't released in the cinema, but you think are worth seeing?

I'll kick off with "Big Trouble". This was originally scheduled to be released in September 2001, but because of scenes of a nuclear weapon and a gun being smuggled onto a plane the release got delayed till the next year and the advertising was so minimal hardly anyone realised the film was out. It ended up making a loss of over $30m because of this.

I think it's a shame because it's a very funny film, with early roles for Zooey Deschanel and Johnny Knoxville, as well as a lot of good actors thrown in (and a bit of decent acting from Tim Allen for a change). Dennis Farina shows off his deadpan humour brilliantly in the film.

exnihilo
917675.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote

The Last Days of Frankie the Fly. Despite a big name cast this one never really got anywhere, I watched it one night because there was nothing else in the video shop (ooh, the 90s) and thought it was brilliant, have subsequently made many of my friends watch it and they all agreed. Or God help them.

Zebra57
917688.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote

The Wild Women of Wongo is so bad that it is worth seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZATJk6Y__lo

Spud McLaren
917808.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote

An old chestnut, but Plan 9 from Outer Space takes a bit of beating, mainly for its continuity errors. However, a look behind the scenes is even better.

'Criswell's opening narration redundantly informs the viewer that "future events such as these will affect you in the future"...'

Efros
917812.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Rutger Hauer's (and he has made some real dogs) Split Second, which came out in 1992, featuring the chap from the Beecham's Powders adverts, he was also in Taggart for a while Ian Duncan, Ian Dury, Kim Cattrall, Michael J Pollard, Pete Postlethwaite and a few other familiar faces. The story is a bit mixed up, it flopped badly at the box office but it is a definite must see, at some point in the first third of the film someone decided to throw away the script and just go for it, not the best in terms of SF but bloody funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105459/

Starfish13
917921.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote

Despite the enticing title, don't bother with A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell (I used to work in a bar and would quite often watch the crappy 3am films with my flatmates when we finished work).

3 reasons, not enough sex, not enough dinosaurs and really, really poor stop-motion animation that would make Ray Harrryhausen turn in his grave*.

*If he were dead. I just checked wikipedia and he's still alive at 92, and still working in films. Shows what I know.

RLDavies
917932.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote

An awful lot of Troma films are... awful. But they can be fun sometimes, if you're in the right mood.

I'm a member of Cinemageddon, which is specifically for the appreciation of unknown and/or disliked films (as measured by IMDB ratings). There's a whole Troma subsection.

If you've got a soft spot for crappy '50s monster movies, a real must-see is Robot Monster, featuring a guy in a gorilla suit and diving helmet as the robot. The backstory makes it even better -- when they were looking for somebody to play the robot, the writer said, "I know this guy with a robot outfit." Turned out he didn't have the robot outfit any more, but he had a gorilla suit. So they said "close enough".

It also features some great dialogue, including philosophical musings: "To be like the hu-man! To laugh! Feel! Want! Why are these things not in the plan?"

cornixt
917959.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote

There are far too many films that are meant to be bad (like most of the Sci Fi channel film output), which makes truly bad film much harder to find.

I really enjoyed Nightbreed, and Tremors. Not sure if they count as flops.

Starfish13
917962.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

Tremors was great, the sequels not so much. And on the basis that I really enjoyed that, my little sister recommended me Sand Sharks. Basically Tremors meets Jaws. It sounds so terrible that I think I'll love it.

zomgmouse
917965.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote

Technically, do great films that "flew under the radar" also count as flops?

Efros
917997.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote

Blade Runner was a flop box office wise, as were Cleopatra, It's a Wonderful Life, Citizen Kane, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club and The Wizard of Oz. All of these have turned a profit eventually but Fight Club for example cost a few executives their jobs over at Fox.

tetsabb
918000.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote

That's probably because they talked about it.

NinOfEden
918008.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, just because a film doesn't attract a huge audience when it comes out doesn't mean it's a crap film in any way - it might have just not had great marketing, or it might have been up against something with more famous actors in it.

cornixt
918039.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote

I thought Fight Club was going to be a dumb action film about people fighting each other, so I passed up on getting a free copy when it came out on DVD. Very good film, and not at all like the trailer made out.

Oceans Edge
918062.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote

not sure how you define a 'Flop' .. but Hugo didn't seem to last in theatres terribly long, and didn't hear a lot said about it. Certainly it wouldn't have appealed to Scorsese's usual fans.

That said I found it to be brilliant, despite the casting of Sacha Baron Cohen - a wonderful, whimsical, and touching tribute.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next