View previous topic | View next topic

Filth

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jenny
298220.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Re: post 285775

I don't remember if it was actually used, but we had this as a potential question on the second DVD:

Jenny wrote:

161694. Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Q. How many insect fragments can one sample 100g bar of chocolate contain before being considered too contaminated to sell?

1) None
2) 29
3) 59
4) 89

A. 4) Regulations of the US Food and Drug Administrations Centre for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition say that chocolate is too contaminated to sell when there is an average of 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined OR when any 1 subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments .

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

MatC
309056.  Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote

Quote:
GREEN boffin Professor David Richardson warned on Sunday that nitrous oxide is no laughing matter and has a huge environmental impact.
Speaking at the 162nd meeting of the Society for General Microbiology in Edinburgh, Prof Richardson said that the environmental impact of the "laughing gas" nitrous oxide from waste treatment and agriculture should be taken seriously.
The gas is mainly produced by bacteria in municipal sewage treatment plants, landfill sites and marshy areas polluted with agricultural fertiliser.
Prof Richardson said that nitrous oxide only makes up 9 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions but has 300 times more global warming potential than carbon dioxide.
"It can survive in the atmosphere for 150 years and it's recognised in the Kyoto protocol as one of the key gases we need to limit," he said.
"Global warming affects everyone and understanding the biology of nitrous oxide emissions will be an important step in mitigating their impact.
"We urgently need to start developing better strategies to improve management of these emissions in the agricultural and waste treatment sectors."

S: Morning Star, 31 March 08

Jenny
312573.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote

Filthy words links to Fuck of course. Words formerly banned on US television can be found in a US Supreme Court report about a case involving the satirist George Carlin. The original seven words were shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. Three more words you could never say on television were fart, turd, and twat.

More details on http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/SUPP/banned.html

You can read a transcript of George Carlin's comedy routine about this on http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/SUPP/7dirty.html.

Universal Studios has television and airline restrictions for feature films which you can read here: http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/SUPP/x-rated.html

AOL also has guidelines for acceptable language on websites: http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/SUPP/aolguide.html

Incidentally, I also found the answer to Mat's question about ladybird vs ladybug. Whether it is a definitive answer is unclear, but it's an answer.

Quote:
Examples of British Profanities Which Are Ineffective in American English

* Bugger, bugger off, etc. — see legal definition — hence "ladybird", not "ladybug"
* Bloody and sod [sodomite] — cf. "Bugger off, you bloody sod" from John Boorman's film Hope and Glory
* Cock ("...we may congratulate ourselves on not having lived in that century when an infant of six could be hanged....and schoolboys were encouraged to match cocks."

http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/obscene.html

MatC
312604.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote

I don't understand that bit about ladybirds; do they have something to do with buggery? Do we have film?

I was once nominated for an Edgar for a story that had the word "Buggers" in the title; I've got the certificate upstairs, with the title made out in very nice calligraphy, and I must admit (although bugger hasn't really been a rude word in this country for most of my lifetime) I still chuckle every time I dust it.

suze
312615.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote

Good Lord! I always thought AOL sucked (which one is allowed to say), but I never realised quite how conservative the organization was.

I hope there are no human biology forums hosted on AOL, because among words which are "unconditionally vulgar" and may never be used are "genitalia", "semen", "urination", and "vagina".

We are also told in so many words that to say "Jenny is an ass" is forbidden. So it's just as well that she isn't really.

MatC
312623.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote

You know, that ladybird thing is intriguing ... everywhere you look, there’s the Marian explanation of why they’re called “lady” but no-one thinks to explain why they’re called birds instead of beetles, which is surely altogether more baffling.

If we could find out, we could have a question “Why are ladybirds so called?” and as soon as one of the lonely swots on the panel starts off with the explanation about the BVM, we klaxon him and Stephen says “No, no - everyone knows that boring old stuff, I want to know why they're called ladyBIRDS?”

And it links to Feathers, too.

dr.bob
313032.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Good Lord! I always thought AOL sucked (which one is allowed to say), but I never realised quite how conservative the organization was.

I echo your astonishment. Apparently the word "tit" is unconditionally vulgar, which must make discussion of ornithology a bit of a minefield.

Likewise "pussy", which leads me to assume that there are no AOL web pages dedicated to a particular 70's sitcom starring Molly Sugden.

You're also not allowed to say "cock" (ornithology again), "dick" (discussion of Batman companions, or anyone else called Richard), "fags" (this smoking ban is getting out of hand), or even "submissive".

All I can say is thank fuck not every website is so pissy about bad language.

MatC
313047.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote

Oi, shit-wanker - watch your dirty mouth!

I’ve always thought that USian prissiness is a fascinating and thoroughly QI subject - hilarious, silly, important, frightening and astonishing (yes, all the Five Main Elephants), and that we should devote some time to Roosterism in general.

We’ve discussed aspects of it before - cocks, I seem to remember - but perhaps it’s now approaching critical mass?

eggshaped
313921.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote

The Merseyside village of "Lunt" is considering changing its name due to vandals who have continuously defaced the town's signs.

s: Telegraph 09/04/2008

eggshaped
316564.  Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Not usable I suppose, yet:

A 15 minute tape supposedly of Marilyn Monroe performing f-for-fellatio on an unidentified man has been bought for $1.5 million.

Apparantly, J Edgar Hoover was obsessed with the film, and went to great lengths to try to prove that the man in the film was JFK, but was unable to prove it.

Quote:
Joe DiMaggio once tried to buy it from the collector for $25,000 but "he would not part with it," according to FBI files on Monroe that are available on the FBI Web site.

Reuters

MatC
316632.  Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote

Fifteen minutes?

MatC
324402.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote

US servicemen stationed in Britain during WW2 - knowing little or nothing of the hardships of war - complained that the British women they dated had rotten teeth (toothbrushes were very difficult to obtain) and that they smelt: the soap ration was tiny, and running hot water was not often available; people had to choose between washing their bodies or their clothes, when they had the opportunity to do either. Perfumes had become almost entirety unobtainable following the fall of France.

However, one innovation did begin during the war - the arrival of deodorants. One advert of the time, aimed at women in the forces, read as follows:

Quote:
Girls who “Go to It” should remember THE GREATER THE STRAIN THE GREATER THE RISK OF UNDERARM ODOUR. Use Liquid ODO-RO-NO For Complete Underarm Protection.
In two strengths. Regular (lasts for seven days). Instant (Three days).

Love the idea of a deodorant that lasts for seven days ...

S: ‘London 1945’ by Maureen Waller (John Murray, 2005).

Ian Dunn
675360.  Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote

It has been discovered that not only is there a huge load of rubbish in the Pacific, but there is also one in the Atlantic.

The recently discovered load of rubbish, let's call it the "Atlantic Trash Vortex", has a density of 200,000 pieces of debris per square kilometre.

Source: BBC

Zebra57
675439.  Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote

and in space

zomgmouse
675558.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote

All this about Filth and not one mention of John Waters. You are guilty on all ten counts of first-degree stupidity!

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next