View previous topic | View next topic

Filth

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MatC
271691.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote

Quote:
A "plastic soup" of waste floating in the Pacific Ocean is growing at an alarming rate and now covers an area twice the size of the continental United States, scientists have said.
The vast expanse of debris in effect the world's largest rubbish dump is held in place by swirling underwater currents. This drifting "soup" stretches from about 500 nautical miles off the Californian coast, across the northern Pacific, past Hawaii and almost as far as Japan

S: http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/02/05/6856/

Links: Flotsam

Flash
271702.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote

Been there. done that:
Q: What's the biggest load of rubbish in the world?
F: Fresh Kills, NY
A: The Pacific Trash Vortex

In the E Series, regrettably. And incidentally we think "twice the size of the continental United States" may be a mythlet in the making as some sources say that but others say "the size of Texas".

MatC
271768.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote

Oh yes, sorry, I remember it now. Mind you, it seems to have suddenly become vastly bigger - I think that's why it's in the news just now.

dr.bob
272467.  Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote

How about another area of filth? Surely there must be plenty of material on over-zealous censorship down the years.

Such as the story of how an image of the Venus de Milo, used in an advertising poster for Palmolive, had a white patch plastered over its breasts in Montreal in 1927 to conform to "local censorship regulations" (as reported in "Marx's lost aesthetic: Karl Marx and the visual arts" by Margaret A. Rose - 1984).

Or how, in November 1969, a poster reproducing Michelangelo's David was seized by the vice squad in Sydney and the store owner charged with obscenity (though the charges were later dropped).
s:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/visualarts/david_a.html

Jenny
272722.  Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote

On that topic, it might be fun to include something about the Hays Code, which was adopted in the US in 1930, enforced as of 1934 and abandoned in 1967 in favour of the current ratings system.

The code was adopted essentially to prevent even more restrictive state or federal regulations being put in place, after a Supreme Court ruling in 1915 that movies were not covered by the First Amendment. There had been major scandals about drugs and sex (and probably jazz) in Hollywood during the 1920s, and the press sensationalism confirmed the perception of Hollywood as 'Sin City'.

Will Hays, who drew up the code and pledged to establish moral standards for movies, had previously been US Postmaster General. However, voluntary measures didn't work and the more restrictive measures were introduced.

The first major instance of censorship under the Code was the editing out of nude scenes in the 1934 film Tarzan and His Mate.
However, films produced outside the major studio system continued to flout the system, including a film called Child Bride which involved a nude appearance by a 12 year-old actress called Shirley Mills. Foreign films - especially Swedish - also flouted the system.

Jenny
272726.  Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote

Full text of the Hays Code here.

Flash
272758.  Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
In general passion should so be treated that these scenes do not stimulate the lower and baser element.

Miscegenation (sex relationships between the white and black races) is forbidden.

We noted last time that it was the Hays Office which coined the application of the geological term "cleavage" to the human bust, for the purpose of deploring it.

Frederick The Monk
282392.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote

The first recorded case of censorship in the USA occurred in the 1620's when the governor of Plymouth, William Bradford (1590 - 1657) who had come to the New World on the Mayflower, learned that Thomas Moreton of 'Merrymount' had:
Quote:
"...composed sundry rhymes and verses, some tending to lasciviousness."

His solution was to send a military detachment to break up Moreton's much less Puritan settlement. Had he not the whole complexion of US settlement might have been a little less, er, devout. Moreton's settlement was just about as unpuritan as you could get and this incensed his neighbours at Plymouth. Whilst they did the Thanksgiving thing and prayed a lot he and his mates, in his own words:
Quote:
"... did devise amongst themselves to have ... Revels, and merriment after the old English custom ... & therefore brewed a barrell of excellent beer, & provided a case of bottles to be spent, with other good cheer, for all comers of that day. And upon Mayday they brought the Maypole to the place appointed, with drums, guns, pistols, and other fitting instruments, for that purpose; and there erected it with the help of Savages, that came thither of purpose to see the manner of our Revels. A goodly pine tree of 80 foot long, was reared up, with a pair of buckshorns nailed on, somewhat near unto the top of it; where it stood as a fair sea mark for directions, how to find out the way to mine Host of Ma-re Mount."

Moreton's pagan revels, during which eh tried to find 'savage brides' for his men, was too much for the straight-laced Braford. The Puritans attacked and captured Moreton but Bradford didn't dare execute him as he was well-connected in London, so he marooned him on a desert island till an English ship could carry him back to England. John Endicott chopped down the Maypole, scattered Merrymount's inhabitants and destroyed its houses. Booo!
s.Boyer, Paul s. Boston Book Censorship in the Twenties
Paul S. Boyer American Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 1 (Spring, 1963), pp. 3-24

Frederick The Monk
282395.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote

This is what Bradford said about Moreton and his settlement:
Quote:
After this they fell to great licenciousnes, and led a dissolute life, powering out them selves into all profanenes. And Morton became lord of misrule, and maintained (as it were) a schoole of Athisme [Atheism]. And after they had gott some good into their hands, and gott much by trading with ye Indeans, they spent it as vainly, in quaffing & drinking both wine & strong waters in great exsess, and, as some reported, 10 worth in a morning. They allso set up a May-pole, drinking and dancing aboute it many days togeather, inviting the Indean women, for their consorts, dancing and frisking togither, (like so many fairies, or furies rather,) and worse practices. As if they had anew revived & celebrated the feasts of ye Roman Goddes Flora, or ye beasly practieses of ye madd Bacchinalians. Morton likewise (to shew his poetrie) composed sundry rimes & verses, some tending to lasciviousnes, and others to ye detraction & scandall of some persons, which he affixed to this idle or idoll May-polle. They chainged also the name of their place, and in stead of calling it Mounte Wollaston, they call it Merie-mounte, as if this joylity would have lasted ever.

Now that's the sort of New World settlement I'd join.

Frederick The Monk
282399.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote

And this is Moreton's poem that so upset Bradford:
Quote:
Rise, Oedipus, and, if thou canst, unfould
What meanes Caribdis underneath the mould,
When Scilla sollitary on the ground
(Sitting in forme of Niobe,) was found,
Till Amphitrites Darling did acquaint
Grim Neptune with the Tenor of her plaint,
And causd him send forth Triton with the sound
Of Trumpet lowd, at which the Seas were found
So full of Protean formes that the bold shore
Prsented Scilla a new parramore
So stronge as Sampson and so patient
As Job himselfe, directed thus, by fate,
To comfort Scilla so unfortunate.
I doe professe, by Cupids beautious mother,
Heres Scogans choise for Scilla, and none other;
Though Scilla's sick with griefe, because so signe
Can there be found of vertue masculine.
Esculapius come; I know right well
His laboure's lost when you may ring her Knell.
The fatall sisters doome none can withstand,
Nor Cithareas powre, who poynts to land
With proclamation that the first of May
At Ma-re Mount shall be kept hollyday.

Frederick The Monk
282401.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote

And he wrote a song to go with it that Bradford didn't like either:
Quote:
Drinke and be merry, merry, merry boyes;
Let all your delight be in the Hymens ioyes;
J to Hymen, now the day is come,
About the merry Maypole take a Roome.
Make greene garlons, bring bottles out
And fill sweet Nectar freely about.
Vncover thy head and feare no harme,
For hers good liquor to keepe it warme.
Then drinke and be merry, &c.
I to Hymen, &c.
Nectar is a thing assign'd
By the Deities owne minde
To cure the hart opprest with greife,
And of good liquors is the cheife.
Then drinke, &c.
I to Hymen, &c.
Give to the Mellancolly man
A cup or two of 't now and than;
This physick will soone revive his bloud,
And make him be of a merrier moode.
Then drinke, &c.
I to Hymen, &c.
Give to the Nymphe thats free from scorne
No Irish stuff nor Scotch over worne.
Lasses in beaver coats come away,
Yee shall be welcome to us night and day.
To drinke and be merry &c.
I to Hymen, &c.

Flash
282416.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote

Well that is quite racy. We'd run them out of my village, too, I think.

Frederick The Monk
282427.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote

We'd welcome them in Dorset.

eggshaped
284042.  Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote

The first censorship in the UK was to stop the public from seeing the amount of bacterial activity in a lump of stilton, IIRC. But then something tells me that we may have used this before.

source

What "f" did the first censorship in the UK ban us from seeing?

Forfiet: ****ing

Answer: Fromage

hmmmm

MatC
284183.  Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Well that is quite racy. We'd run them out of my village, too, I think.

Quote:
We'd welcome them in Dorset.

Actually compulsory in Somerset.

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next