View previous topic | View next topic

The Speed of Chimp.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Hugo Rune
274755.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:

I'm currently reading 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas Hofstadter - another noted figure in the field of cognitive science.

that is now added to my list... but that it is one of those I should have got long ago.
Quote:

high volumes of incoming data must be processed as fast as it arrives or eventually the system will have to start discarding data indiscriminately.

which is the equivalent to what happens in my model when the filters aren't working, maybe?

Hugo Rune
274833.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:

I'm currently reading 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas Hofstadter

just ordered it, £8.80 inc.pp

I'm still decorating at the moment. but when I'm done I will definitely get back to you to talk further on your work, it sounds QI...

Hugo Rune (no, the other one)

Leith
275634.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Hugo Rune wrote:
which is the equivalent to what happens in my model when the filters aren't working, maybe?

Yes, certainly I was envisaging the pre-processing task of the AI system as the equivalent of your subconscious filters. There are lots of different ways in which this kind of system can misbehave. The closest analogy I can think of with regard to Steven Wiltshire's case would be that of the pre-processing tasks forwarding far more data to the decision making tasks than they can cope with. The data would be there for decision making tasks to access (hence the remarkable ability to recall details) but would be too great in volume to allow sophisticated analysis of its entirety (thus leading to a reduction in the range of functions that the decision making tasks can perform effectively).

I'm now puzzling over whether these models can be related to the effects of ageing on the mind - i.e. the fact that young chimps and humans who can demonstrate enhanced memory skills lose this ability as they grow up.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm currently reading 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas Hofstadter

just ordered it, £8.80 inc.pp

Hope you enjoy it. I'm currently about a quarter of the way through. It's been a little while since I last found time to pick it up, but hopefully will manage to do so soon. All the best with the decorating :)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2