View previous topic | View next topic

The Most Boring Animal on the Planet

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Crunchy
101968.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote

I was trying to think of what could be classed as the most boring animal on the planet and I don't mean my neighbour. The one that not even Sir David would look at twice at.

I thought of the Barnacle because it just sort of sits there, but they actually turn out to be QI. The cement they use to bond to surfaces is one of the strongest bonding agents in nature. Scientists are trying to replicate it synthetically for dental surgery and the like.

I thought of the Tortoise, I mean, watching paint dry and all that! But according to an ex-employee of mine the're QI. They are also very profitable (hence the ex) so I suppose that makes them very QI

It's not that easy! Exciting and therefore, QI animals are easy; The ants and their energy, the salmon and their life cycle, even the house fly is QI. But trying to find the undisputed not QI, most boring animal on the planet takes some thinking about.

I think I will put the Sloth forward as my candidate: The Sloth is so lazy, that if it drops it's infant from the tree it will leave it there because it can't be bothered to climb down and pick it up. How lazy is that! Even it's digestive system is slow, taking up to 30 or more days to digest it's food. They make my 2 sons look like amateurs in the sleeping department as well, knocking out almost 18 hours of Z's in a day.

A group of zoologists studied one sloth for 48 hours before they realised it had died whilst just hanging there. How boring can an animal be, that you can't tell the difference between a living and a dead one, I do realise there are a lot of Humans like that, but come on.

If anyone can think of a more boring animal then I'd like to hear of it!

Southpaw
101971.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote

Ah, but the Sloth is QI in the fact that a certain species is the only green mammal in existence, due to algae growing in its fur.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a boring animal. Rather, you should looking for the least interesting. Good luck.

Crunchy
102029.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote

Ah, a bit like one of my sons being the only white Homo Sapien with black feet. The Sloth is only green because it's to lazy to clean itself. If fact, when it does finally get round to cleaning, the algae growing on it's ever so slightly QI fur, actually supplements it's very poor leaf diet.

I think "least interesting" is just a long winded way of saying BORING (:

suze
102033.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a boring animal.

The beaver?

Tas
102035.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote

Beaver is pretty exciting...oh, hang on, maybe I should re-phrase that?

:-)

Tas

suze
102037.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote

Maybe you should.

But beavers, I think you will find, bore for Canada ...

Tas
102041.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote

Naw, surely?

(Oh, and do I get a prize for the most obvious joke of the day for my previous post?)

Tas

dr.bob
102048.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote

Hey Tas, here's a letter "G" you might want to borrow.

Feel free to use it in any rodent-related words you might need to use :)

djgordy
102050.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote

Crunchy wrote:

I thought of the Barnacle because it just sort of sits there, but they actually turn out to be QI. The cement they use to bond to surfaces is one of the strongest bonding agents in nature. Scientists are trying to replicate it synthetically for dental surgery and the like.

The penis of a barnacle is about 10 times the length of its body; which is the largest penis/body ratio of any animal.

Southpaw
102054.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but any animal that actually builds its own mid-river house can't be classed as boring.

djgordy
102055.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote

Sponges are quite boring (unless they're cartoon sponges of course) and this one is even called the "yellow boring sponge" (Cliona celata). Condemned out of its own mouth I would say.

Crunchy
102056.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote

[quote="djgordy
The penis of a barnacle is about 10 times the length of its body; which is the largest penis/body ratio of any animal.[/quote]

The're also Hermaphrodites which means you don't have to worry who's next to you when you roll it out.

This thread is getting a little smutty now with all this talk of penis's and beavers. Sorry Dr Bob I still can't work out the "G" for any rodent....Gice, Gat, gerret, I'm sorry but you've lost me there );

djgordy
102059.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
Ah, but the Sloth is QI in the fact that a certain species is the only green mammal in existence, due to algae growing in its fur.

Sloths are also interesting because their hair curves from the stomach to the back instead of the other way. They are the only mammal to exhibit this feature. Although they are considered lazy, their slow metabolism means that they can exist on very little food.

Hans Mof
102064.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry Dr Bob I still can't work out the "G" for any rodent....Gice, Gat, gerret, I'm sorry but you've lost me there );

G-rat ed?

Tas
102066.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote

Stuff you, Dr Bob......so ner!

(Is ill, suffering with man-flu/cold, so I have some leeway with dodgy spelling/typing don't I?)

Tas

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next