View previous topic | View next topic

Dolphins

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
128573.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote

Two dolphins in China have been saved by the world's tallest man.

Mongolian herdsman Bao Xishun was called in after the dolphins swallowed plastic used around their pool at an aquarium. Using his 1.06m arms he reached into the animals' stomach to retrieve the foreign objects.

indigo fugit
133690.  Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Two dolphins in China have been saved by the world's tallest man.

Mongolian herdsman Bao Xishun was called in after the dolphins swallowed plastic used around their pool at an aquarium. Using his 1.06m arms he reached into the animals' stomach to retrieve the foreign objects.

R U sure.

The man standing with him appears to be just as tall .

Mulvil
153091.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote

Dolphins are the only mammal whose babies are born tail first

hippi926840
176598.  Mon May 21, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote

lol he's cool isn't he? he's quite old too, and just got married to a woman in his village. how sweet.

you know dolphins (i think) are, along with humans, the only animals -or living beings even- that have sex for pleasure?

Tas
176658.  Tue May 22, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote

Quote:
you know dolphins (i think) are, along with humans, the only animals -or living beings even- that have sex for pleasure?

They also go in for gang-banging apparently...

I wonder if they play football?

:-)

Tas

Caradoc
176859.  Tue May 22, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote

hippi926840 wrote:
lol he's cool isn't he? he's quite old too, and just got married to a woman in his village. how sweet.

You've not heard of the Bonobos then, I think they came up in the B series.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
485098.  Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Dolphins get all the moisture they need from fish they eat.

CB27
485526.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote

I'm suer this was mentioned by Stephen on one of the shows. I think he even went on to suggest that when dolphins are beached they're more likely to die from dehydration than starvation.

indigo fugit
487899.  Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote

I think it was on the show that he said that.
'It had no concept of drinking. If water was sprayed into it's mouth it would swallow it but consider it as food and stop eating'.

helenethuen
947683.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote

hippi926840 wrote:

I've often wondered if it's true that they're the only ones, because primates tend to masturbate. I learned this from a way too illustrative article.

DO.fisher
948684.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote

Non-procreation sex and masturbation is extremely common in nature, not just in bonobos and humans.
See the book 'biological exuberance, animal homosexuality and natural diversity' http://us.macmillan.com/biologicalexuberance/BruceBagemihl

gruff5
948690.  Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote

hippi926840 wrote:

how did you find that out?! with a survey?

Depending on the definition of pleasure, it transmogrifies into pure 'instinct' (whatever that is) somewhere along the continuum, humans are the only male animals that do not always have sex for pleasure.

I doubt very much (I have not done a survey) that there is any animal that copulates whilst thinking to itself "hmm, messy business, but it's got to be done to bring on the next generation". They do it because it feels good.

Page 1 of 1