View previous topic | View next topic

Animal Fact of the Day

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Curious Danny
266344.  Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote

As if i didn't have enough to do ...

Since nobody visits this forum anymore, you would think we knew everything about animals.

Bull!

Animals do all sorts of interesting and weird things we didn't even no existed.

So me and my animalia compendium are going to share a bizarre animal fact every day.

1) Japanese Cardinal Fish could be the animal kingdom's worst dad. They protect for their young by keeping them in their mouth.
However, they aren't monogamous.
If he sees a more attractive female than his current partner, he will court her. He can't do this whilst child-minding so he swallows his children.
The circle of life in action there.

If you have any of your own, please share.

Last edited by Curious Danny on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

CB27
266396.  Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote

I suppose us urbanites just don't know our animals too well.

Flash
266474.  Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Very good, Danny. Any sources for that? I'm in the market for fishy material at the moment.

Curious Danny
266782.  Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Very good, Danny. Any sources for that? I'm in the market for fishy material at the moment.

That came from "Why Pandas do Handstands" by Augustus Brown.

You might like this other fishy fact -

2) Parrotfish use sleeping bags. At night it blows a bubble of mucus around it's body and voila, a sleeping bag. Inside the bubble, it is safe from enemies as they can't smell them through the mucus.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ronaldta/SCUBA/parrotfish.htm

Curious Danny
267485.  Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote

3) In the cartoon world, birds that don't look where they are going usually collide with buildings or try to fly through windows.
Birds actually do this.
In 2005, a large flock of cedar waxwings were treated at a wildlife centre in South Carolina after they all flew straight into the glass windows of an office block. They were apparently intoxicated by holly berries.
Unfortunately, birds can learn to get food from bins but not how to use a breathalyser.

Curious Danny
269529.  Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote

4)The passenger pigeon was famous for vast flocks but that is small fry compared to the African Migrant Butterfly. A scientist who watched a swarm go past was stuck there as the proccession carried on for 3 months without stopping!
5)You can "charm" an earthworm like you can with snakes. Every summer a primary school in Nantwich, England hosts the world worm charming championship.
6)In 1937, an animal collecter stages some very interesting races - cheetah v greyhound. The cheetah lost most of the time. They couldn't be bothered to race. One cheetah completed half the race and then took a breather

Starfish13
269925.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote

A fish with an awesome name is the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (the fish that makes the sound of a pig). It also known as the reef triggerfish, and is the state fish of Hawai'i.

smiley_face
269931.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
A fish with an awesome name is the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (the fish that makes the sound of a pig). It also known as the reef triggerfish, and is the state fish of Hawai'i.

They're really cool. I tried saying that long word underwater with my regs in, but failed quite miserably, and ended up swallowing a LOT of Indian Ocean.

I'm also really pleased at the number of dives I made before someone told me they could hear me singing underwater.

ansell
285924.  Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote

I have got a good fact but it's a bit smutty

A Pigs Orgasm can last for 30 Minutes!

This is for a Female, not a male

Obviously!

indigo fugit
286072.  Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Hello ansell…. Ceud měle Fŕilte to you.

As you are our resident pig expert could you tell us if it is true that a boars ‘pinkle’ really is shaped like a corkscrew.

ansell
286707.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote

I'm really sorry but not being a slurry farmer I have no idea; I just post interesting facts as I see 'em
Another one: Did you know I share my birthday with George Michael
Should I be proud of that?!?

suze
286713.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote

See post 168098 for a pig's penis.

Sadurian Mike
286954.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
See post 168098 for a pig's penis.

You know, I bet that post is unique in the annals of the internet. I think I will have to quote it as my sig.

indigo fugit
289908.  Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote

Did you know that in the old black and white films, when the script said that a horse was to be shot, they really did the shooting on screen?!

http://www.shannonleighstables.com/HORSE-FACTS-

An Asteroid
342077.  Thu May 22, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Did you know male snakes have two penis

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next