View previous topic | View next topic

Bingo

Page 1 of 1

BobTheScientist
3745.  Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:10 am Reply with quote

Some bingo-related trivia:

1 Bingo has existed in some form since at least the early 1500s when it was already an established lottery game in Italy.

2 Bing Crosby received his childhood nickname of Bingo from his favourite jug-eared character in a comic strip called the Bingville Bungle.

3 In British slang, bingo wings is the name given to loose skin or flabby flesh on the under sides of the upper arms. It comes from the idea that bingo is largely played by overweight elderly women.

4 It is becoming quite popular to play bingo at bridal showers in the USA, with cards depicting traditional gifts which are struck off as numbers usually are when the bride unwraps that item.

5 In early 30s New York, bingo became a fad when introduced by Edwin Lowe who had seen the game played at travelling carnivals in the South. Numbers were covered with beans and winners shouted Beano! when all numbers were covered. When one of Lowe�s players wrongly shouted Bingo!, he adopted this as the name of the game.

6 Cow chip bingo (aka �cow pie bingo� and �bessie bingo�) is a game played in Australia and the USA where a field is marked off in squares, the squares are raffled and a cow is let into the area. The winning square is the one where the cow lays down a pat.

7 Bingo, the tubby orange monkey in the TV series The Banana Splits was played by Terence Winkless and voiced by Daws Butler. Since Bingo was drummer with the men-in-animal-suits pop group, and since it was partly a spoof on The Monkees, who were an attempt to create an American Beatles, it�s likely his name was a play on Ringo.

8 Numbers were given nicknames in bingo (a practice now dying out as the game tries to escape its tawdry image). These names were a mix of rhyming slang, visual image and topical cant. Some standard ingredients include leg (1), duck (2), flea (3), door (4) and fat lady (8). The nickname for number 9 (�doctor�s orders�) came from the advertising for an early 20th century laxative named Number 9.

9 There have been many songs about bingo, including The Upsetters� �Bingo Kid�, Patrik Fitzgerald�s fey punk �Bingo Crowd�, Matt McGinn�s fun-folky �Bingo Bella�, girl-band Cleopatra�s �Bingo My Love�, The Fall�s early effort �Bingo Master�s Breakout� and Tom Verlaine�s �Mr Bingo�.

10 On a CD of songs by North American Indian women, I encountered the Six Nations Women Singers, an Iroquois vocal combo, and marvelled at the breadth of their subject matter. The first song was about the White Man�s destruction of mother earth, the second about bingo (translation "I only have two dollars, but I�m going to bingo anyway.").

11 Early pinball machines, especially those in the 1930s, were often based on the game of bingo. These machines tended to have prize money as opposed to the usual �for amusement only�. Players had to achieve runs of certain numbers by landing balls in holes.

12 Scientists in Canada have identified a condition they call �bingo lung�, caused by over-exposure to the smoke-laden atmosphere in bingo halls.

Source: http://vitaminq.blogspot.com/

But check out the rest of the website. Roddy Lumsden seems like a person QI might hire (he my cousin he ver' clever).

Jenny
3746.  Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:52 am Reply with quote

That's a wonderful blog, Bob - do get him along onto the public forum. I'd love to see him there. I went into his link and ended up playing twenty questions against the computer - it beat me twice, and then I won so I got out while the going was good.

BobTheScientist
3765.  Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Sorry Jenny, Lumsden isn't really a cousin. Only in the sense that if I was attempting to get him a job with QI, he MUST be related in some way.

ryewacket
5200.  Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:16 am Reply with quote

According to John Beard of the Bingo Association of Great Britain, the following are the traditional calls for numbers (omitted numbers don't have a catchphrase). Some of these really have me stumped.

1 Kelly's Eye
2 On its own/ Baby's done it/ Dr Who
3 I'm free/ Debbie McGee
4 On the floor/ The one next door
5 Man alive
6 Tom Mix/ Chopsticks
7 I'm in Heaven
8 Garden/ Golden gate
9 Doctor's orders
10 (Prime minister)'s den
11 Legs
12 One dozen/ Monkey's cousin
13 Unlucky for some
14 Lines in a sonnet
15 Rugby team
16 Never been kissed/ Sweet 16
17 Often been kissed/ Old Ireland
18 Key of the door
19 to the dozen
20 Getting plenty
21 Royal salute
22 Dinkie Doo/ All the twos/ two little ducks
23 Duck and a flea
24 Two dozen
25 Preston Guild
26 Old half-crown/ Bed and breakfast
27 Duck with a crutch
28 In a state
29 February leap
30 Burlington Bertie/ Dirty (or Flirty) Gertie
31 Days in May
32 Water freezes
33 All the threes/ Dirty knees/ Feathers
35 Barrel of oil
36 Three dozen
37 Shakespeare
38 Smith and Wesson
39 Steps
40 Life begins at
42 Manhattan street
44 All the fours/ Droopy drawers
45 Halfway
48 Four dozen
49 PC ("nick, nick")
50 Bull's Eye/ Bunghole
51 I love my mum
52 Weeks in the year/ Cards in a deck
55 Snakes alive!
57 Beans
59 Five and Nine, the Brighton Line ("ding ding")
60 Three score
62 Tickety-boo
64 The Beatles' number
65 Old Age Pension
66 Clickety click
67 The argumentative number
69 Your place or mine?
70 Three score and ten
72 Crutch with a duck
73 Crutch with a flea
75 Bottle of wine
76 Was she worth it?