View previous topic | View next topic

Booths

Page 1 of 1

ryewacket
5229.  Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Cherie Booth, wife of renowned fibber and international snake-oil salesman Tony Blair, is related to the assassin of Abraham Lincoln.

Quote:
So what has this to do with the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair? For those who may be unaware, the wife of the present British Prime Minister was formerly Cherie Booth [Actually, she still is -- G92]. She shares with John Wilkes Booth [...] descent from one Richard Booth. John Wilkes Booth, who was born in 1838, was the grandson of Richard Booth, a lawyer, and his wife Jane Elizabeth Game. Another of Richard Booth's sons was Algernon Sidney Booth and it is this Booth who was the great, great, great, grandfather of Cherie.

http://historynewsletter.org/presidents/1916klumph/klumph/booth/

JumpingJack
5230.  Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote

Booths are mentioned nine times in the bible.

Quote:

And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, and built him an house, and made booths for his cattle: therefore the name of the place is called Succoth.
Genesis 33:17

Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths:
Leviticus 23:42

That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 23:43

And they found written in the law which the LORD had commanded by Moses, that the children of Israel should dwell in booths in the feast of the seventh month:
Nehemiah 8:14

And that they should publish and proclaim in all their cities, and in Jerusalem, saying, Go forth unto the mount, and fetch olive branches, and pine branches, and myrtle branches, and palm branches, and branches of thick trees, to make booths, as it is written.
Nehemiah 8:15

So the people went forth, and brought them, and made themselves booths, every one upon the roof of his house, and in their courts, and in the courts of the house of God, and in the street of the water gate, and in the street of the gate of Ephraim.
Nehemiah 8:16

And all the congregation of them that were come again out of the captivity made booths, and sat under the booths: for since the days of Jeshua the son of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so. And there was very great gladness.
Nehemiah 8:17

He buildeth his house as a moth, and as a booth that the keeper maketh.
Job 27:18

So Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east side of the city, and there made him a booth, and sat under it in the shadow, till he might see what would become of the city.
Jonah 4:5

Good word, booths, isn't it?

ryewacket
5232.  Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote

It is, although I always get the feeling it should be "beeth", by analogy with "tooth".

Jenny
5235.  Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote

A friend of mine works at a Jewish school in Bushey or thereabouts, and they still build special booths for Succoth.

Jenny
5236.  Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote

And if we're talking about Booths, let's not forget General William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, whose steadfastness in fighting the good fight on behalf of the poor throughout his life has to be acknowledged whether you agree with the rest of his philosophy or not.

Any relation to Cherie that we know of?

Flash
5247.  Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
and made booths for his cattle: therefore the name of the place is called Succoth

I always like those rogue "therefores", which imply some meaning in the original which has been completely lost in the translation.

JumpingJack
5255.  Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote

It's not a 'rogue' therefore, Flash, it's much more mundane than that.

The word Succoth also transliterated Sukkot or Sukkoth actually means 'booths' in Hebrew.

(It's not very well transliterated either, because it's pronounced 'sue-coat').

http://biblicalholidays.com/tabernacles.htm

The singular of succoth is sukkah, which translates not only as 'booth', but 'shed, tent or temporary dwelling', or more portentously 'tabernacle'.

So tabernacle means a tent, which I certainly didn't know before, and is from the Latin tabernaculum, the diminutive of taberna, a tavern.

For all the vociferous (and, in my view, wholly justified) disparagement of the New English Bible aka the 'Inland Revenue Version' on the other thread, I can't help feeling that if we'd all been told at Sunday school that the Hebrews kept The Ark of the Covenant in a tent, we'd all be a lot wiser, and somehow rather more sympathetic.

And while they were at it, they could have told us, in Plain English, what the dickens 'The Ark of the Covenant' actually was...

s:ODE

hardie
5265.  Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:34 am Reply with quote

oops sorry

JumpingJack
5356.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote

What what what?

Sorry about what, Mr H?

hardie
5358.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Brain dead - posted a near duplication of garrick's, deleted and couldn't figure how to erase it...don't worry, I'm back in the rocking chair in front of the turf fire with a noggin of Olde Furkin's finest trying not to notice the dribble stains on the cardigan.

Page 1 of 1