View previous topic | View next topic

Celebrity Doctor Who fans

Page 1 of 1

austinallegro
144813.  Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Ahoy hoy, Just thought I'd post a list of all the the celebrity Doctor Who fans I know of. If anyone else has anything else to add I'd very much appreciate it.

Stephen Fry
Ken Livingstone
Toyah Wilcox
Marc Almond
Steven Poliakoff
Liz Hurley
Orbital
Slipknot
Rob Lowe
Julie Burchill
Mike Gatting
Rachel Weisz
Matt Groening
Douglas Adams (maybe I shouldn't put this as he was a writer for the series)
Bob Dylan
William Rees-Mogg
Emlyn Williams
Queen Elizabeth
Jon Culshaw
David Walliams
Matt Lucas
Mitch Benn
Peter Kay
Mark Gatiss
Stewart Lee
David Hewlett
Eric McCormack
Neil Gaiman
Brian Keene
Harlan Ellison
Mike Gatting
Graham Gooch
David Beckham
Meatloaf
Goldie Lookin' Chain

Mr Grue
145099.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote

Rhys Thomas

Rassilon
145101.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote

Michael Grade (although he'd probably deny it again now)
Simon Pegg
John Culshaw (obviously)
Toyah
Andrew Marr
Russell T Davies (again, obviously)

thePhantom
145178.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Goldie Lookin' Chain

do they really count as celebs?

violetriga
145183.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote

I don't mean any offence by this, but why would you want to know who has said that they like a particular TV series?

gerontius grumpus
145296.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote

I like Doctor Who, do I count as celeb now that I've been in the Daily Telegraph?

Rassilon
145420.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I like Doctor Who, do I count as celeb now that I've been in the Daily Telegraph?

By today's standards, that probably makes you 'B' list. If you've ever slept with someone famous, call Hello magazine right away.

Rassilon
145421.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
I don't mean any offence by this, but why would you want to know who has said that they like a particular TV series?

for some of us, this particular programme is a bit special. If the question had been "Which celebrities support Manchester United", imagine the sort of response from the great unwashed. Fights have been started over less Sad, but a fact of life.

violetriga
145449.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote

Rassilon wrote:
violetriga wrote:

for some of us, this particular programme is a bit special. If the question had been "Which celebrities support Manchester United", imagine the sort of response from the great unwashed. Fights have been started over less Sad, but a fact of life.

But a 'celebrity' who might make some sort of positive-sounding response when asked if they like a programme does not mean that they really are fans of the show! Their appearance at a convention on the other hand...

Rassilon
145540.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:

But a 'celebrity' who might make some sort of positive-sounding response when asked if they like a programme does not mean that they really are fans of the show! Their appearance at a convention on the other hand...

Indeed. At the 40th anniversary "PanoptiCon", John Culshaw turned up uninvited and offered to do 10 minutes standup at the evening show if we'd let him in.

Jumper
145724.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:

What about if I am "World-Famous-In-New-Zealand" ...???

dr.bob
146059.  Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote

I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned David Tennant. He's been on record many times expressing his long-term love affair with the show dating from when he was a wain. He even starred as a very minor part on one of the Big Finish Dr Who audio adventures (before the new series brought it back to TV) and was quoted as saying he was just really excited to be involved with Dr Who on some level.

Little did he know..... :)

Twopints
146062.  Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote

austinallegro wrote:
Queen Elizabeth

I knew that Queen Elizabeth II was a fan but I hadn't realised that Dr Who had been going quite that long.

(Sorry)

Half-Daft
146067.  Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned David Tennant. He's been on record many times expressing his long-term love affair with the show dating from when he was a wain. He even starred as a very minor part on one of the Big Finish Dr Who audio adventures (before the new series brought it back to TV) and was quoted as saying he was just really excited to be involved with Dr Who on some level.

Without wishing to appear too geeky - he actual had substantial roles in two Big Finish Doctor Who stories (Colditz with Sylvester McCoy and Medicinal Purposes with Colin Baker - and jolly good he was too). He also had a lead role in the third Dalek Empire series that Big Finish did.

dr.bob
146077.  Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote

Fair point. However, he didn't play the Doctor himself, which is what I was trying to get at.

Page 1 of 1