View previous topic | View next topic

tearjerkers

Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

'yorz
734236.  Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote

You sure did :).
And the true answer is stil blowin' in the wind...

I suddenly remember the Israeli singer Rika Zarai, who jumped to the No. 1 spot in the Nederlandse Hitparade 1967 with Yerushalaim. The song had been written some time before the June-war, and became a rousing, patriotic hymn during those anxious days. It reflects the enormous swell of sympathy with Israel at that time that it became such a hit in Holland.

Spud McLaren
955039.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote

Just a couple of very different examples. Why this thread suddenly emerged from my memory I don't know.

Geoffrey Burgon's Nunc Dimitis. Alec Guiness fans may recognise it...

and Steve Goodman singing his composition The Ballad of Penny Evans. It's better sung (unaccompanied) by a woman, but as I can't find a suitable one and Goodman wrote it, I'll let him set it before you.

sally carr
955071.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote

Had to leave a shop in a hurry last week when Little Drummer Boy started playing. Still miss my mum after nearly 15 years but some moments REALLY get me.

Jenny
955118.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote

This one can reduce me to tears any time - Joni Mitchell's Little Green, which is about the baby she gave up for adoption. There is a version on YouTube with a 1967 live recording, which is slightly different from the version she recorded on Blue. I hadn't come across the live version until today, and it's particularly touching because she works her baby's name - Kelly - into the last line. I hadn't made the association with the colour Kelly green before, and of course that makes sense of the title. I like the tune better in the Blue recording though.

mckeonj
955134.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote

This may or may not be relevant; but drumming and whistling have been used to convey the rhythms of human speech, and convey meaning.
I refer, of course, to the fabled 'jungle drums'; and to the whistled language ?siblo of the Pyrennees.
I recall that an example of this was played on QI some years back; and Stephen interpreting it as "Manuel, bring in the goats".

'yorz
955136.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote

That would bring tears to the goats' eyes indeed.

suze
955157.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
I refer, of course, to the fabled 'jungle drums'; and to the whistled language ?siblo of the Pyrennees.

It's La Gomera, one of the smaller Canary Islands, rather than the Pyrenees. Pretty close on the name, which is in fact Silbo.

There are still people on La Gomera who really use the whistled language to "speak" to people the other side of the valley, and it's a compulsory subject in school on the island.

Elsewhere in the Canaries you'll occasionally hear it demonstrated - I've seen such a demonstration on Tenerife - but practically no one uses it in everyday life any more.

Efros
955158.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote

http://www.sixteen19.com/video/cbs-sports-magic-j-mac

'yorz
955159.  Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote

example of Silbo

Half-Daft
955412.  Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote

The Beach Boys and The Everly Brothers tend to get me welling up. (Maybe it's something to do with male vocal harmony?)

Someone else has already mentioned Pet Sounds - if I listen to the whole thing then by the time I get to the end of "Caroline, No" I've got tears streaking down my cheeks.

Same with Don & Phil - listening to several of their sadder slower songs in a row then tears are almost inevitable.

All good stuff for letting off steam by having an emotional wallow.

'yorz
955414.  Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote

Pet Sounds? That was me!
And it's not just their vocals/harmonies that appeal to me.
Let's go away for a while

Efros
955416.  Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote

The film Cocoon reduced me to an emotional wreck once, the character who died had the same name as someone very close to me who had just passed away. I've never been able to get past the opening sequence of the film since.

Spud McLaren
992324.  Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote

Not really to do with tear-jerking (or any other sort of jerking either, hopefully), but here's an interesting article (1st 2 pages only - you have been warned!) on audiation and anticipation in listening to music.

It put a question in my mind - could one reason one forms an attachment to a piece of music be because one anticipates a sequence, the music actually goes in a completely different direction, and the actual direction is better than the anticipated one?

The illustration I've chosen of this is the bridge (about 1:33) of Jelly Roll Morton's Shreveport Stomp. Amidst a fairly predictable chord sequence he sticks this insane progression. My first reaction on hearing this was, "What? WHAT?" Even Prof. Dick Hyman (yes, really) said, "When I first heard this section, I couldn't believe it. I've been playing it for over thirty years, and I still can't believe it!"

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
992328.  Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote

Spud, the Stomp link is the same as the article one. Key must have stuck :-)

Tried a few vids, and it sounds almost off-key at the 1.33 point.
Is that what you meant?

Troux
992348.  Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm a huge Sarah McLachlan fan. So emotionally charged, vocally trenchant and lyrically poetic with her music, there aren't any songs of hers that don't draw me in. However, one in particular elicits tears each and every time.

Quote:
"I was watching a documentary called A Promised Kept, it was made in Canada, about this woman who discovered her fiance was HIV positive. Basically, the story followed her and her husband, they got married, and he got progressively sicker, and she took care of him right up until the end. She was telling the story with just such beautiful clarity and honesty and it just stuck home in a way that I couldn't really describe except by writing this song. And I really feel it was something that came out of me through her."
- Sarah McLachlan

Sarah McLachlan - Hold On

Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next