View previous topic | View next topic

Question for US posters

Page 1 of 1

crissdee
983999.  Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Really, anyone who has something to add can answer this, but I am really looking for the left-pondian response.

Some time ago, I bought a book espousing yet another theory about Jack the Ripper (surely not! I hear you cry) This book was, incidentally, quite the worst book I have ever read on any subject being apparently written by a teenager, or possibly an Amish person. Only such a person could be quite so unworldly and have so little understanding of the dynamics of the relationship between a prostitute and her clients, or the motivation of sexual serial killers.

Anyhoo, the person put up for the mantle of JtR was one Boston Corbett, who the author seemed to believe was nationally, if not internationally known. Now, I had never heard of him and I was wondering if anyone else, particularly our American friends had ever come across the name before.

I will not mention in what capacity he is supposed to be famous for fear of skewing the results. Any ideas?

'yorz
984004.  Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Kind of the Jack Ruby of his time, woz he?

clack
984032.  Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote

He's virtually unknown nowadays in the US. His name in not taught in history class, nor does he appear as a character in popular culture (novels, TV, movies).

Jenny
984042.  Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote

I'd certainly never heard of him, crissdee, and it seems somewhat unlikely now I've read the Wikipedia article about him.

CB27
984061.  Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote

I thought I'd wait for a couple of US posters to reply first before also revealing I don't remember hearing of this guy.

The idea that he was JtR doesn't make sense when you read up about him (though he does sound really mad). When you started mentioning JtR in your paragraph the first American name that popped into my head was Dr Tumblety :)

djgordy
984074.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

Some time ago, I bought a book espousing yet another theory about Jack the Ripper

Was it by Shirley Knott?

Quote:
(surely not! I hear you cry)

Close enough!

RLDavies
984126.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote

Brought up in the US. The name Boston Corbett means nothing to me, not even in the vague "might have heard that name before" way.

mckeonj
984131.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote

Quick Google:
Quote:
Thomas P. "Boston" Corbett (1832 presumed dead 1894) was the Union Army soldier who shot and killed Abraham Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth. He disappeared after 1888, but circumstantial evidence suggests that he died in the Great Hinckley Fire in 1894, although this remains impossible to substantiate.

CB27
984313.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Spoilsport :)

crissdee
984327.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
The idea that he was JtR doesn't make sense when you read.........

The godawful book to which I previously referred!

As I thought, almost nobody had heard of him. This makes one of the book's claims, that a possible witness might have recognised him had he seen his face, even more outlandish. The witness, one Joseph Lawende, would have been 18 years old at the time of Corbett's appearance in the news, and living in Warsaw at the time. The idea that he might recognise a man who was breifly notorious 23 years previously on the other side of the world, having only seen a drawing of him (if anything) is but one tiny part of the gibberish that is "Jack the Ripper; American Hero"

Thanks all for your response.

'yorz
984329.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Spoilsport :)

I was the first to peek...
Quote:

Kind of the Jack Ruby of his time, woz he?

CB27
984396.  Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, but whited out :p

Page 1 of 1