View previous topic | View next topic

Kornukopia - thread for miskellaneous K subjekts.

Page 11 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Webster100
941594.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Have you ever wondered why your skin often comes off in flakes rather than individuals dead cells falling off your body? Probably not, though maybe now that I've pointed it out you can agree that it's an interesting question.

The answer is keratinization (http://www.medilexicon.com/medicaldictionary.php?t=46763) Basically, your skin cells fill up with a substance know as keratin, which makes them incredibly tough (keratin comes from the Greek work for "horn"). At the same time, they become very tightly connected to each other. For this reason, they often remain connected, even after they're dead!

Moosh
941598.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably not, though maybe now that I've pointed it out you can agree that it's an interesting question.

I hadn't, but now you mention it, yes it's a very interesting question. With an interesting answer too, well done.

mckeonj
941599.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote

The Klaxon is also known as the Oogah.

swot
941691.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote

KABOOM

swot
941723.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote

This here article could be good for either 'kissing' or 'Knives and forks'

Spud McLaren
941766.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote

On the subject of knives and forks, I'd often remarked on the ubiquity of the embossed/indented design on the top reverse of a fork handle (no, this isn't a post in honour of Gerald Wiley) - you know, the one shaped a bit like a pair of buttocks.

OK, not much like a pair of buttocks. Well, it wasn't until we visited the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit that I found out that, in the days when they had salt cellars rather than shakers, it was considered unhygenic to take a pinch of salt with your fingers, and rightly so. Instead, one was expected to dip one's fork handle like a shovel into the salt and then waggle it over one's plate. It really is an amazingly good salt distributor. I wonder how someone stumbled on this design, and why it is so efficient.

This is the only online reference I can find so far.

mckeonj
942003.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Kobbold/cobalt and Snow White's dwarves.

Spud McLaren
942289.  Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote

What about them?

;-)

Kshamavani is an interesting concept, parallelling exnihilo's Days of Awe. I approve of this, and I think that all religion-fired politicians should be required to do it publicly in/on national media.

Spud McLaren
942620.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote

Too much interesting info about kalium to know how to angle a question. See what you think.

Webster100
942810.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Kanna can also refer to the South African plant Sceletium tortuosum, which may prove interesting to some forum members.

Might I suggest the following question;

Q: How can having something to chew in South Africa change your mood?

A: It can make you happier, or even euphoric.

(According to the wiki link above, kanna literally means "something to chew")

swot
942850.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Too much interesting info about kalium to know how to angle a question. See what you think.

You can put potassium nitrate in toothpaste, due to the effect it has on the nerves - it stops them 'firing' for a while, to stop sensitive teeth bothering you.

'yorz
942851.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote

Kalium - potassium- potash - Potash and Perlmutter.

Or is that stretching it a bit?

Moosh
942869.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote

A kugelblitz is what you get if you put enough energy in one place. As in, a seriously huge amount of energy, much much more than is given off by any star or anything like that. It's a black hole formed from an area of space that's incredibly dense in energy rather than, as is usual for black holes, incredibly dense in mass.

It's unlikely that this has ever actually happened, since the amount of energy that would need to all be in one place is so massive that it probably would never occur naturally. But it's got a really cool name in case it ever does happen.

Webster100
943014.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
A kugelblitz is what you get if you put enough energy in one place. As in, a seriously huge amount of energy, much much more than is given off by any star or anything like that. It's a black hole formed from an area of space that's incredibly dense in energy rather than, as is usual for black holes, incredibly dense in mass.

It's unlikely that this has ever actually happened, since the amount of energy that would need to all be in one place is so massive that it probably would never occur naturally. But it's got a really cool name in case it ever does happen.

Where does the name come from? It sounds German, but Kugel is a type of food. Is there another meaning or translation that I'm not aware of? Or is there some metaphor at work?

Also, hats off to you. That is a truly amazing fact.

Moosh
943018.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote

Kugelblitz is German for ball lightning, the name of the food Kugel also comes from the German for ball or sphere, because it was apparently made that shape originally.

Page 11 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next