View previous topic | View next topic

Kornukopia - thread for miskellaneous K subjekts.

Page 10 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Efros
940897.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote

Kinetic Molecular Theory of Gases.

The basic premises are: A gas is made up of small particles traveling in straight lines subject to Newton's Laws of motion. The molecules in a gas are assumed to be points i.e. they occupy no volume. Any collisions between molecules result in no energy gain or loss. The inter-particle repulsions or attractions are zero. The kinetic energy of the particles is directly related to temperature, the faster the particles are moving the higher the temperature.

The Kinetic Molecular theory explains the experimentally determined gas laws. Simplistically, the temperature of a gas and the number of particles in that gas volume can be related to pressure. Pressure (P) is a result of the number (n) of particles, and the speed at which they are travelling, colliding with a surface at any given time. Increase the speed, i.e. temperature, more collisions occur, so the pressure increases. Increase the number of particles in a given volume then the number of collisions increase, hence the pressure increases.

Fun demonstration of KMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9yn8vLdig

Last edited by Efros on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total

Spud McLaren
940909.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote

The Kalevala, an epic compiled in the 19th C from scattered Finnish folk tales, and its role in Karelianism.

exnihilo
940912.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote

D'you mean this Kalevala?

Spud McLaren
940914.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote

Yes. I came across it whilst looking for musical instruments beginning with K. It was linked to the kantele.

Spud McLaren
940922.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote

Kleptomania, kleptocracy, and Klephts, three words with the same root - κλέπτειν, to steal.

For those of a culinary bent there's kleftico - lamb cooked in the style of the Klephts.

Spud McLaren
940928.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote

Q: How many persons died of the disease K-Syndrome in WWII?

K: any number greater than 0.

A: K-Syndrome was an entirely fictitious disease invented by Dr Vittorio Sacerdoti, and it saved an estimated 45 lives - see link for details.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

swot
940953.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote

Bravo to him.

mckeonj
941042.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Kleptomania, kleptocracy, and Klephts, three words with the same root - κλέπτειν, to steal.

For those of a culinary bent there's kleftico - lamb cooked in the style of the Klephts.

Klepsydra (water thief) the dripping water clock of the ancients.

Spud McLaren
941087.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote

The ones in this illustration aren't the type you could tell the time by; rather, they're clocks in the sense of devices that always denote the same period of time, no matter how many times they're recharged.

However, I understand that eventually the Greeks or the Egyptians designed a graduated model that allowed the time of day to be told within a fairly wide degree of tolerance.

More detail here.

There's also kleptoparasitism* (parasitism by stealing) and kleptophobia, which can mean both fear of being robbed and fear of stealing from another.

*I'd argue that using pigs to find truffles is kleptoparasitism.

Spud McLaren
941089.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Khichdi, the likely (!) origin of kedgeree, but without the fish.

The Scottish origin theory doesn't ring true to me.

Spud McLaren
941182.  Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote

Since they were mentioned on last week's QI, we' ought to have a nod link to kissing bugs.

Spud McLaren
941192.  Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote

The Kerama Islands were the site of a true story about romance between two dogs who lived on neighbouring islands that was made into the 1988 Japanese film I Want to See Marilyn (Marilyn ni Aitai).

Spud McLaren
941200.  Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote

Kyoto was top of the list for "receiving" the atomic bomb (as an intellectual centre of Japan, it had a population "better able to appreciate the significance of the weapon"), but was replaced by Nagasaki at the insistence of Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson, who wanted to save this cultural centre which he knew from his honeymoon and later diplomatic visits.

The "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto" are listed by the UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. These include the Kamo Shrines, Kyō-ō-Gokokuji, Kiyomizu-dera, Daigo-ji, Ninna-ji, Saihō-ji , Tenryū-ji, Rokuon-ji , Jishō-ji , Ryōan-ji, Hongan-ji, Kōzan-ji and the Nijo Castle, primarily built by the Tokugawa shoguns. Other sites outside the city are also on the list.

It may be noted the Kyoto, the old capital, is an anagram of Tokyo, the new capital. I bet that doesn't work in Japanese, though.

suze
941307.  Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote

You win!

In kanji (i.e. Chinese characters as used in Japanese), Kyoto is 京都 and Tokyo is 東京. You'll note that one of the kanji occurs in both names; it means "big city", more or less.

Words which have kanji are rarely written out in kana (the syllabic script used in Japanese). But even if they were to be, they wouldn't be anagrams. Both the vowels in Kyoto are short, and both the vowels in Tokyo are long, and the way that the kana system works it would hence be written as to-o-kyo-o.

swot
941447.  Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Bill Gates wants to re-invent the Khazi.

Page 10 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next