View previous topic | View next topic

Kornukopia - thread for miskellaneous K subjekts.

Page 6 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Spud McLaren
936345.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote

Kawasaki disease - not an oily rash on your inner thigh nor a persistent high-pitched buzzing tinnitus, but...

Spud McLaren
936347.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote

The Japanese gave us umami, now we're swamped with kawaii. In western eyes, this "cuteness" is often applied in some rather inappropriate settings.

Talking of things Japanese, I came across the kanna, a woodworking plane which is drawn towards the user rather than pushed away. Quite a few Japanese woodworking tools are thus used, including a range of cabinetmakers' saws. It gives better control over the accuracy of the cut.

I'm just wondering how many western tools are used on the draw - I can think of the drawknife; that's about it - even the spokeshave is usually pushed. I'm sure there must be others, though.

Spud McLaren
936351.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote

Kanna can also refer to the South African plant Sceletium tortuosum, which may prove interesting to some forum members.

Spud McLaren
936353.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote

QI's probably done kangaroos to death (no, I didn't mean like that...), but for those who still believe:

A common myth about the kangaroo's English name is that "kangaroo" was a Guugu Yimithirr phrase for "I don't understand you." According to this legend, Lieutenant Cook and naturalist Sir Joseph Banks were exploring the area when they happened upon the animal. They asked a nearby local what the creatures were called. The local responded "Kangaroo", meaning "I don't understand you", which Cook took to be the name of the creature. The Kangaroo myth was debunked in the 1970s by linguist John B. Haviland in his research with the Guugu Yimithirr people. - from the linked page.

The koala, as we all know by now, is not a bear. It has a similar genital arrangement to the kangaroo, and its pouch is downward-facing.
'The brain in the ancestors of the modern koala once filled the whole cranial cavity, but has become drastically reduced in the present species, a degeneration scientists suspect is an adaptation to a diet low in energy. One of the smallest in marsupials with no more than 0.2% of its body weight, about 40% of the cranial cavity is filled with cerebrospinal fluid, while the brain's two cerebral hemispheres are like "a pair of shrivelled walnut halves on top of the brain stem, in contact neither with each other nor the bones of the skull. It is the only animal on Earth with such a strangely reduced brain."' - from the linked page.

Spud McLaren
936402.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote

The contact binary asteroid 216 Kleopatra. It has 2 moons, named after Cleopatra's children.

Spud McLaren
936430.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote

The knock-knock joke, in its current form, is first documented in 1936, although it's likely that it had been around for a while before that. But is this (lines 1-21) the earliest known collection of knock-knock jokes?

Spud McLaren
936436.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote

"Kyrgyz" (the language of Kyrgyzstan) is believed to have been derived from the Turkic word for "forty", in reference to the forty clans of Manas, a legendary hero who united forty regional clans against the Uyghurs. Literally it means We are forty.

Spud McLaren
936518.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote

What's this?

Answer whited out : Geometric Kufic sample (Surah 112, al-Ikhlas or "The Surah of Monotheism", of the Qur'an), read clockwise, starting with red word.

Link here

Spud McLaren
936519.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote

The Oxford dictionary on kerfuffle - "early 19th century: perhaps from Scots curfuffle (probably from Scottish Gaelic car twist, bend + imitative Scots fuffle to disorder), or related to Irish cior thual confusion, disorder"

Spud McLaren
936547.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote

The games of kubb and kyykkä, the latter originating from Karelia, where you can find the island of Kizhi, an open-air museum of wooden buildings, many of them churches.

Here's one -

By the way, this thread wasn't meant to be a private party...

Spud McLaren
936565.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Kachinas

Don't really know what to say about that...

Spud McLaren
936566.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote

The beautifully detailed woodblock prints of Tsuchiya Koitsu (1870-1949).

To confuse matters, another Koitsu was doing similar work at around the same time - 1897-1987. A linked list of Ishiwata Koitsu's images can be found here.

MossRomaLeveneAaronow
936968.  Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Q: What did the Americans nearly call a vegetable, but is made out of banana in the Philippines and fish in China?

A: Ketchup.

In 1981, the US Department of Agriculture under Reagan proposed classifying ketchup (and pickle relish) as a vegetable rather than a condiment, so schools could cut out a serving of vegetables from their lunches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable
The Filipinos started making banana ketchup after a tomato shortage in World War II. They actually dye it red to hide the admittedly unappealing natural colour of off-beige:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_ketchup
One of the many theories about where the word 'ketchup' comes from is from the Chinese word for a fish sauce:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup#Terminology

Also, the crazy Americans sometimes call it catsup!

CB27
936972.  Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote

I used to get mushroom ketchup years ago, which was brilliant for cooking meat, but haven't see it anywhere now.

CB27
936975.  Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Hmm, just looked online and it seems some supermarkets do sell it, but it must be hidden :)

Page 6 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next