View previous topic | View next topic

Bacon-Erdos-Sabbath number

Page 1 of 18
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

BobTheScientist
917866.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote

http://www.metafilter.com/117058/Whos-got-an-ErdosBaconSabbath-number

says that there are THREE people for whom we can calculate such a measure of the Centre of All Things. Who's for a no-peeking plunge?

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria are getting fuzzy at the edges.

Moosh
917907.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote

Damn, didn't notice you were encouraging guessing and read the article. I won't comment on the people it gives,, in case others want to guess, but I will say I greatly enjoyed this comment on the metafilter post.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but is there anyone alive at the time who wasn't briefly a drummer for Black Sabbath in the mid-eighties? That makes it too easy.

Starfish13
917954.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote

Taking a guess at people who might overlap the fields of film, maths and music...

...is Brian May one of them? (If something like the Live Aid documentaries count for film work).

...that other Brian, some particle physicist/keyboard player guy off the telly, who I think might have been in Sunshine, but was definitely the science advisor on the film. And didn't Kevin Bacon have a guest spot on Wonders of the Universe?

...Tom Lehrer?

Clutching at straws now.

suze
917998.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote

I guessed two of the three answers.

Starfish has guessed someone who is not one of the three answers presented, but who seems to me very likely indeed to qualify.

Starfish13
918067.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Prof. Co's Bacon number is a bit tenuous.

As people with neuroscience papers seem to have an Erdos number, could Mayim Bialik (Amy Farrah Fowler from the Big Bang Theory) have a high Erdos-Bacon-Sabbath score? Does she sing/play an instrument? I remember watching Blossom, and they had the characters from Fresh Prince of Bel Air...

Moosh
918076.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Brian Cox appears to be a bit odd here in that you'd expect him to have low Bacon and Erdős numbers, with strong connections, but he doesn't seem to. It may be that he does and no one has yet found the links though.

suze
918079.  Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Brian May's Erdős number is seven. Given that his subject area and Professor Cox's are not a million miles apart, I'd be fairly confident that Professor Cox's Erdős number will be within one either side of Dr May's. But I'll let someone else find it.

I agree with Starfish that Professor Cox's Bacon number needs a bit more work, but I remain confident that he'll have a reasonably low one.

But now then, howsabout Professor Stephen Hawking? His Erdős number is four and his Bacon number is three (by virtue of having appeared as himself in The Simpsons).

Professor Hawking also contributes a guest vocal to a song called Keep talking on the Pink Floyd album The Division Bell.

Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd played guitar on a cover of Smoke on the Water which appears on the Rock Aid Armenia album. That version of the song also featured Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, which means that Gilmour's Sabbath number is one and hence Professor Hawking's is two.

Accordingly, Professor Hawking's B-E-S number is nine. This appears to be the first single digit Bacon-Erdős-Sabbath number ever identified, and I claim the credit for it.

Starfish13
918184.  Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Accordingly, Professor Hawking's B-E-S number is nine. This appears to be the first single digit Bacon-Erdős-Sabbath number ever identified, and I claim the credit for it.

Congratulatulations. I did consider Prof. Hawking when making my list (knowing about the Simpsons link), but couldn't think of any musical connection at all. Well done.

Moosh
918252.  Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Brian May's Erdős number is seven. Given that his subject area and Professor Cox's are not a million miles apart, I'd be fairly confident that Professor Cox's Erdős number will be within one either side of Dr May's. But I'll let someone else find it.

I agree with Starfish that Professor Cox's Bacon number needs a bit more work, but I remain confident that he'll have a reasonably low one.

But now then, howsabout Professor Stephen Hawking? His Erdős number is four and his Bacon number is three (by virtue of having appeared as himself in The Simpsons).

Professor Hawking also contributes a guest vocal to a song called Keep talking on the Pink Floyd album The Division Bell.

Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd played guitar on a cover of Smoke on the Water which appears on the Rock Aid Armenia album. That version of the song also featured Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, which means that Gilmour's Sabbath number is one and hence Professor Hawking's is two.

Suze - I contacted the author of the article on twitter and sent him a link to this post. He replied asking if he can add the information to his article (with a link back). I said it wasn't my discovery and he should ask you, suggesting he contact you through these forums.

suze
918335.  Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote

He hasn't done as yet. But if he reads this, he is extremely welcome to add this information to his article. If no one else has done it before then, I'll try to find the full derivation of Hawking's Bacon and Erdős numbers at the weekend.

timeblimp
918356.  Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Hey there, it's Sean from timeblimp.com -- I did indeed get the message from James of your discovery, and I am DAMN IMPRESSED -- plus, I'm happy that the new lowest-EBS-number honor goes to a physicist. Years ago when I first came up with this, Feynman was the lowest. Then Ross Churchley (http://www.rosschurchley.com/2009/brian-mays-erdos-bacon-number/) worked out Brian May's number. As a physics nerd, I'm gleeful to see the title remain among the physics crowd.

Anyway, well done working this out, and I'd be happy to update my essay on timeblimp, give you the credit, plus 23% of all the profits I've made off that essay. (I'll give you one guess how many profits I've gotten from that essay...)

Congrats, Cheers, and Well Done!
-- Sean at timeblimp

timeblimp
918365.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote

I just added your derivation to my website, which is (for now) the Central Font And Repository of All Erdos-Bacon-Sabbath Knowledge. And I think Tom Lehrer is another good suggestion. I'm also wondering about Hedy Lamarr. Thank you all for joining me in this addictive game!

Davini994
918448.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote

Congrats Suze!

Jenny
918476.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote

Woohoo! Fame at last, suze!

Welcome to the QI forums, timeblimp - we can always do with yet another physicist around here :-)

Leith
918552.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Good work, suze!

suze wrote:

If his role as scientific consultant on Sunshine counts, then that firms up his Bacon number of 2 with a movie link (Sunshine starred Rose Byrne, who also starred in X-Men: First Class with Kevin Bacon).

p.s. Welcome, Sean
p.p.s Hello Davini, haven't seen you round here for a while

Page 1 of 18
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next