View previous topic | View next topic

Pierced Personalities

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

berty ashley
878446.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote

What are Madonnas, Madisons, Prince Alberts and Christinas?

The names of body piercings!

Madonna: top lip
Madison: near collar bone
Prince Albert: foreskin
Christina: clitoris

my question.. do those people have them?? Hmm Prince Albert better not get on with Christina ;)

Ref : http://www.bodz.info/list.html

Ref : http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_meet-queen-christina-and-prince-albert_1058195

CB27
878533.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote

We cannot know for sure if Prince Albert had a "Prince Albert", but there's actually a good chance he did.

If you go back to the turn of the 19th century, the fashion guru of the time was Beau Brummel, and he made popular the fashion for men to wear very tight trousers that were practically like leggings.

Because of the indecent bulges this fashion created, it was not uncommon for fashionable men to have what was then called a "Dressing Ring" so they could hold their penis to one side. When you visited a tailor to have your trousers made, the tailor would ask which way you dressed so as to allow a little space and provide a hook on the iside of the trousers to hold the penis down. I've no idea why tailors still ask which way a gentlemen dresses as there's no need for it any more :)

Jenny
878535.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote

I think people who are making custom-made suits possibly allow a slight extra, erm, fullness of the fabric to accommodate this.

CB27
878538.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

Trousers these days are "comfort fit", so there's no real need. Last time we saw tight trousers seems to be back in the 70s.

berty ashley
878540.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote

it will be interesting to see that return in fashion.. and coincide with low waist pants....

so when did things change that rockstars had to stick rolled up socks into thier pants to eh ahem display manliness?

soup
878541.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
I've no idea why tailors still ask which way a gentlemen dresses as there's no need for it any more :)

Speak for yourself. :o)

Spoilt Victorian
878542.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
I've no idea why tailors still ask which way a gentlemen dresses as there's no need for it any more :)

Was there not a bit on one of the QI episodes about tailors asking this in order to place the tape measure at the 'other' side and avoid embarrassment of touching.
Yes, I may have dreamt this.

~ V

Strawberry
878551.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote

The closest i can think is episode 1 of series 2, where Stephen Fry mentions that his school tailors were called Gorringe and Sean Lock says "Which side does young sir dress on?".

suze
878575.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
We cannot know for sure if Prince Albert had a "Prince Albert", but there's actually a good chance he did.

The Prince Albert piercing did not acquire that name until about 1970, and the "history" which does the rounds appears to have been invented by Doug Malloy and Jim Ward in LA. Mr Malloy also asserted that Mussolini had a Prince Albert, and some more recent writers have claimed that Prince Charles does.

There was a paper about body piercing in The Lancet in 2003 (Apr 5; 361(9364)) which claimed the story about Prince Albert as true. Its source was an earlier German paper - but that German paper does not provide any sources dated earlier than 1970.

It might be true, but there's practically no evidence for it. There are two main reasons why I doubt it.

1. If Prince Albert really was a pioneer of this adornment, why did it take more than a century for his name to become attached to it?

2. It is suggested that the wearing of a Prince Albert type ring was a common practice among the upper orders in the C19. If so, then getting a hole drilled in his penis would have been something of a rite of passage for the society chap of the time. And yet none of them ever mentioned it.

Madonna does not have a Madonna piercing; it is so named because Madonna has a "beauty spot" (i.e. a mole) in much the place where the jewelry is worn.

The Madison piercing is named after an adult movie performer called Madison Stone, who did indeed have one.

The Christina piercing is not of the clitoris - although it's not far away, which is not a bad effort for a man ... It was named by one Tom Brazda, who runs a body piercing business in Toronto. He chose the name because the first client of his to undergo the procedure was a woman called Christina. (It was not Christina Aguilera, who would have been twelve at the time. She does claim to have had a genital piercing, but not a Christina.)

CB27
878616.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, my "good chance" comment was based on the idea that such piercings were not uncommon for upper class gents at the time, because of the fashion of tight trousers, it wasn't aimed at any stories about him particularly.

Gavin
878634.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote

I don't want a Prince Albert! I like my natural self the way it is.

Spud McLaren
878639.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

When talking of male and female genital piercings, I have a fleeting mental picture of a coital session turning into a chain-mail workshop...

AlmondFacialBar
878655.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
When talking of male and female genital piercings, I have a fleeting mental picture of a coital session turning into a chain-mail workshop...

This place so needs a Like button...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
878661.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote

That mental image give me goose pimples. And not because it's titillating. The pain, the pain...
Quick, I need an antidote image.

AlmondFacialBar
878663.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
That mental image give me goose pimples. And not because it's titillating. The pain, the pain...
Quick, I need an antidote image.

You're welcome!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next