View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 5: Invertebrates

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Efros
856066.  Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Miss Fortunate wrote:
steve470 wrote:
I'll second the shock at a lack of forfeit for "Nick Clegg".

More interestingly (to me), though: is there any way of purchasing a lapel pin like the one Stephen had on during this episode? It would be a fantastic way to strike up a conversation with any QI fans here on the less civilised side of the Atlantic.

I too am wondering if there is any way to purchase said lapel pin in North America?

http://twitpic.com/1ruefx

Unfortunately it seems they were made for the 100th show, bugger it I would like one of those myself.

Ian Dunn
856151.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Who the heck is Sarah Millican anyway? She seems to have been on every damn thing this last couple of weeks. Does she just show up at the BBC each day on the off-chance that someone has dropped out of one of their panel games?

She is a comedian from South Shields, near Newcastle, who won the 2008 Edinburgh Fringe award for Best Comedy Newcomer.

If you don't like her then you're in bad news, as she has been given her own show on BBC Two.

exnihilo
856154.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote

I know who she is. I was just nonplussed by her sudden appearance on every TV and radio panel game. Presumably it was to raise awareness of her for her new show which, as I am aware of her, I will not be watching.

djgordy
856159.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote

She is quite funny although I can't help noticing that she seems to have slimmed down and glammed up a bit on recent appearences compared to her earlier working class Geordie lass persona.

bobwilson
856160.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote

Sarah Millican is one of those rare female comedians who is funny for who she is - not because she's a woman. That's probably why she's in such demand.

This is in contrast to square-jawed TV presenters who's only talent is that they know how to put on a tie - yes, Dermot McDickhead - that means you, along with the other "news" presenters unable to read more than one sentence without a rest break provided by your photogenic co-host (chosen entirely for the ample bosom and telegenic face). Or maybe I'm wrong - and it's pure coincidence that every TV news host happens to impossibly pretty?

I'm sorry that exnihilo feels threatened by a person with some talent - perhaps in future the BBC can stick to using Dermot McSquarehead and his ilk that won't intimidate?

djgordy
856162.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote

Ms. Millican has been on Radio 4's "News Quiz" a few times and has been very good.

exnihilo
856163.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote

Bobwilson, give it a rest. That's three threads now where you've had an entirely unjustified pop at me and it's getting very, very tedious.

So finish your drink and trot off to bed, there's a good fellow.

bobwilson
856168.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote

Er - sorry ex but you brought up the subject of Sarah Millican with the subtext of "who the fuck is she?". And you went on to criticise her appearences as being an advertisement for her show (which it might well be, what show is that btw?).

So on this thread having a pop at you seems at least justifiable (if not necessarily justified).

What are the other two threads to which you refer? I have a vague recollection of referring to something silly you wrote on another thread but where it was escapes me.

Ian Dunn
856170.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Er - sorry ex but you brought up the subject of Sarah Millican with the subtext of "who the fuck is she?". And you went on to criticise her appearences as being an advertisement for her show (which it might well be, what show is that btw?).

The one I linked to above which hasn't started yet?

exnihilo
856173.  Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote

1) There was no subtext. I asked who she was as she seems to have appeared out of nowhere to be on everything I watch.
2) There was no criticism. I said that her many appearances coinciding with a new show made sense.

Try not to impute your own prejudices to me.

dr.bob
856442.  Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Ms. Millican has been on Radio 4's "News Quiz" a few times and has been very good.

She also had her own Radio 4 show "Sarah Millican's Support Group" which was very funny indeed.

zomgmouse
858207.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote

I have this children's book about bugs/insects called The Big Book of Bugs, which I went through several times in my "early youth", and two of the things that stuck out for me were (apart from the enlarged 3D pictures of insects and extensive Q&A pages, with questions ranging from, "Do bugs sleep?" to "Why can some bugs walk on glass?"; FTR, they give "the moon" as the answer to why moths fly towards lights) the uses of insects and bugs for food and medicine. Apparently way back when, they believed toothache was caused by worms, and since beetles kill worms, you'd have to swallow beetles; they would also sell ground-up ladybirds as toothpaste (by the way, it took me for ever to figure out what "ground-up" meant) and there's also a type of cricket that people would use to bite off warts and squirt a liquid to kill it off.

But with the food section - people eat (among other things) tarantulas (these have to be roasted so that their hairs, which sting, are burned off), termine queens' egg-sacs, locusts and honey-pot ants (this book says that you only eat their abdomens, so perhaps that's where Stephen went wrong - and it did in fact say that people covered them in chocolate).

These were the types of books my parents would buy me, to my eternal gratitude.

hassan el kebir
858728.  Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote

I think Sarah Millican and Johnny Vegas ought to get married and make babies

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4