View previous topic | View next topic

NotW closure

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

exnihilo
830083.  Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote

Ho ho ho ho. Just seemed to me that the existing one was already on this subject, and nothing new has been said here, but fair enough, go straight to mocking my intelligence, why not?

Posital
830085.  Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote

Personally, I thing the two things are unrelated.

I think the NotW was closed partly as a cost-saving excercise, and also to distance Murdoch from the revelations about his influence over world leaders.

The phone-hacking is just a side-show...

Celebaelin
830086.  Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote

What at least one blogger thinks.

Posital
830091.  Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote

Couldn't have put it better.

Hopefully someone will have something that links the issues straight to the top... and has the balls to publish...

rewboss
830107.  Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
Why is Rebekah Brooks not standing down?

There are reports that she offered he resignation, but it was rejected. Not a great deal of comfort for those innocent journalists now out of a job and wondering why she isn't.

djgordy
830167.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote

rewboss wrote:

There are reports that she offered he resignation, but it was rejected.

Most people who say "I offered my resignation and it was rejected" are just talking nonsense. It is only a pretend resignation so that they can appear to be conscientious whilst not actually being so. An employer can't stop an employee from resigning: that would be slavery. OK, some people are on a fixed term contract but even then there are usually get out clauses.

Anyway, reports say that the notW is printing 2wice as many copies as usual for its finaledition. This looks like being the least successful boycott ever.

rewboss
830179.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote

Oh, people will buy the last issue out of morbid curiosity. They might be disgusted by the revelations, but that won't stop them buying their little piece of history.

Posital
830182.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote

Sorry - am I the only one a little confused here... I thought Sky and BSkyB were one and the same... just a slow digestion of BSB from 1990 (who can blame it with those squariels).

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/skytv/bskyb.html

Efros
830183.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote

They've been caught attempting to delete the email archive now. http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2092657/news-international-executive-suspected-massive-email-deletion

Posital
830184.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Most people who say "I offered my resignation and it was rejected" are just talking nonsense.
Yeah it probably means that either blackmail or big wads of cash are involved (so big you cannot refuse).

Trouble is, if everyone jumps ship then they'll start looking for bigger fish to fry. I don't think any ox-educated oz-yank would be keen on that.

It's getting closer: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/10/newscorp-hacking-hinton-idUSL6E7I909A20110710

HarryAlffa
830195.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote

Rupert Murdoch is the corporate equivalent of Gaddafi or Hussein.
News International is Murdoch's Libya.
News of the World, The Sun, The Times etc are major towns in his corporate landscape, with the capital being Fox News Network in the USA.
The UK is the east of Libya, but is there real revolution?

Like the people of Gaddafi's tribe in Tripoli, News International loyal followers mourn the falling of major towns like News of the World, with the former residents being taken in by The Sun and other organs of similar function, and even hope to build a New Town called The Sun on Sunday, or something of the sort.
Like Gaddafi, his lieutenants and his son deny any wrong doing, or that they were standing up against the corrupt forces of NATO.
The police are the police the world over, the same sort of personalities want to become policemen/women. When some people protested they were fired on.
The police in this country are no different from the police worldwide, the same sort of people become policemen. Surprise, surprise, News International had policemen illegally in it's employment.

Prime Ministers and Presidents had to deal with Gaddafi because he was part of the Global reality. Now the Prime Ministers and Presidents of those same countries are bombing him and his regime. All politicians, in and out of power, dealt with Gaddafi and Murdoch; and because People Are Mostly Stupid they never described Gaddafi or Murdoch honestly and completely, nor critiqued either of them as they should have for fear of their power.
Some of those same politicians are now realising that (perhaps) Murdoch is on the road to being exactly like Gaddafi is now. The stupid and the self serving still cling to Gaddafi – the same will happen with Murdoch.
I vote for doing whatever the equivalent of NATO bombing Gaddafi is to Murdoch.

RLDavies
830208.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote

HarryAlffa wrote:
Rupert Murdoch is the corporate equivalent of Gaddafi or Hussein.

Yesterday's Telegraph cartoon:

rewboss
830224.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote

Also from the Telegraph a few days ago:

RLDavies
830230.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote

This is the one that really made me giggle:

Spoilt Victorian
830250.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote

This made me titter.

Quote:
Despite orders allegedly given from the top of News International to ensure to "ensure there were no libels or any hidden mocking messages of the chief executive", staff appear to have found a way of mocking Mrs Brooks one last time.

Among the clues in the paper's Quickie puzzle were: "Brook", "stink", "catastrope" and "digital protection".

The clues for the Cryptic Crossword seemed to cut even closer to the bone, with examples including: "criminal enterprise", "mix in prison", "string of recordings" and "will fear new security measure".

The clue for 24 Across - which reads "Woman stares wildly at calamity" - is thought to be a reference to a photograph of Mrs Brooks staring furiously from the window of a car as she left News International's Wapping headquarters following the announcement the News of the World was to be shut down.

The answer to the clue is not one she would appreciate: "disaster".
Other answers included: "stench", "racket" and "tart".

A source at the News of the World told the Daily Mail that Mrs Brooks had ordered two loyal Sun journalists to comb the papers looking for tricks.

They said: "Rebekah tried everything to stop the staff having the last word and she utterly failed.

"She brought in two very senior Sun journalists to go though every line on every page with a fine tooth comb to ensure there were no libels or any hidden mocking messages of the chief executive.

"But they failed and we’ve had the last laugh.’

Mrs Brooks, a former editor of the News of the World, was met with angry words when she addressed staff on Friday.

In a secret recording made during her speech, Mrs Brooks can be heard saying: "This is not exactly the best time in my life but I'm determined to get vindication for this paper and for people like you."

There are then cheers as an unidentified male staff member angrily replies: "You're making the whole of News International toxic. There's an arrogance that you think we would want to work for you."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8628690/News-of-the-World-final-crossword-has-a-message-for-catastrophe-Rebekah-Brooks.html

Vikki

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next