View previous topic | View next topic

Series H, Episode 6: Happiness

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

coldalarm
754373.  Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote

He did? I must have missed that one - My apologies.

zomgmouse
754438.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote

Overall I rather enjoyed the episode, except for the "pleasure gauge", which got Quite Inane. And I predicted the hyena answer (mostly because the buzzer was a laugh).
I can't see any problem with questions that elicit banter. That's surely one of the reason panel shows exist.
"A grumpy old git probably used to be a grumpy young git."
How true.
And the 'apiness bit at the end was one of the best send-off anecdotes on the show.

soup
754481.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
the final scores didn't make a lick of sense whatsoever

Makes a change, the scoring is usually so clear.

Celebaelin
754493.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote

Nice to hear from the great, if to some minds rather macabre, Jeremy Bentham in the XL version.

Quote:
The Auto-Icon has a wax head and the real head is in a mummified-state locked away in the university. After his death, and at his request, students of the university dissected his body for medical research, and Dr. Southwood Smith reassembled his skeleton and put him in a sitting position on his favorite chair. Bentham detailed exactly what he wanted done in his last Will and Testament.

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19899&start=15

gerontius grumpus
754540.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
vantheman wrote:

I suspect the scores are based on the whole recording before editing, so when we see the edited version there is little hope of it making any sense.

Bondee
754584.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote

I was dead chuffed to see Stephen and Alan mention my home town! I've changed my profile accordingly.

Although, I have to say that you could give Staines the most pleasant sounding name in the world and it would still be a shit-hole!

soup
754586.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
soup wrote:
vantheman wrote:

I suspect the scores are based on the whole recording before editing, so when we see the edited version there is little hope of it making any sense.

My post was sarcastic.

eggshaped
754587.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote

Interesting that some people have said this was an awful episode while others have said that they really enjoyed it. No other episode has garnered such strong opinions on the site (that I have seen.)

Be assured, anyway, that we're reading all these posts.

In defense of the " trite "let's ask for gags" questions (e.g., what would make Britain happier? how many friends do you have? how can you tell if your friends are happy to see you?)" We still pack in lots of facts to the discussion, even if it may not have a clear question and answer.

Not saying either style of question is better or worse, but just to try to explain the thinking: this style is more likely to bring immediate conversation and still allows us to give lots of information.

I missed the show but have it recorded, so will have to see what we said about 'paper money' - from memory, I think it could be a future subject for the quibble blog.

Moosh
754591.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Not saying either style of question is better or worse, but just to try to explain the thinking: this style is more likely to bring immediate conversation and still allows us to give lots of information.

That's a good point, I can think of many times in previous episodes when Stephen has asked a question to be greeted by silence from the panellists. Silence isn't particularly entertaining, so this style is better in that way.

djgordy
754593.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Be assured, anyway, that we're reading all these posts.

What? All of them? You have my sympathy.

eggshaped
754595.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote

Well, I'm reading all the ones in "the green room" anyway.

Neotenic
754711.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote

If this were a facebook page, I would be clicking the 'like' button for this episode.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but someone in the audience caught in the pleasure gauge shot really didn't like Alan's 'genitals photo' joke about internet dating. He's at about 13:45 on the XL version on iPlayer.

I'm faintly disappointed that there doesn't appear to be any footage on Youtube of John McCririck falling out of a boat, though.

But that disappointment is just about balanced out by finding out I have a slightly above average number of Facebook friends - which is, funnily enough, about 150.

Oh, and do we think this would be the video Alan referred to? Personally, I think this one wins.

djgordy
754759.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote

I've got 25 Facebook friends and some of them I've never met. There are a couple who got in touch because I have the same surname and they thought I was somebody else.

monzac
754771.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote

I'm about at that number. Only two of my fb friends are people I see regularly. Some I haven't met. Most are either interstate or in the states :)

zomgmouse
754777.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote

I have no Facebook friends, due to not having a Facebook account.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next