View previous topic | View next topic

Geography and our Global community

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Steve Rhodes
633998.  Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote

I have never seen this mentioned or explained...
"America" is the same word as "Mexico" but no-one mentions it.
If you say it like a Mexican...
Mehico... Mejico... Americo... Mehica... Merica...
Discuss.
(apologies if this is old news)

suze
634075.  Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote

The etymology of the word "America" has been discussed several times hereabouts - it's probably named after Amerigo Vespucci, and probably not named after Richard Amerike.

As for Mexico, the etymology of that place name isn't completely certain either. But it's pre-Columbian - the Aztec had a city in the same place called Mexihco Tenochtitlan.

So the name is surely from the Nahuatl language, but just what it means is unclear - "place of Mexihtli" (one of the Aztec gods), "place at the centre of the moon lake", and "place where the agave grows" (agave being mectli in Nahuatl) are all possibilities. In any case, the city was founded in 1325 - well before Signor Vespucci or Mr Amerike.

What's more, the traditional pronunciation was something like "mesh-eeh-ko". In pre-modern Spanish, <x> represented the sound /ʃ/ (that which in English is written as <sh>), and the "me-hee-ko" prononunciation is more recent than Cervantes.

Davini994
634574.  Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Suze wrote:
The etymology of the word "America" has been discussed several times hereabouts - it's probably named after Amerigo Vespucci, and probably not named after Richard Amerike.

Ooh, I didn't know that. When did this happen?

suze
634576.  Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Among others, see post 217481 for why I don't think it's Amerike.

filofax
635243.  Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote

can't remember if I've already asked this, or what the answer is if I have, so here goes.
What is the difference between an ocean and a sea? Is it only size and, if so, how big do you have to be to qualify as an ocean?'
Thanks

Moosh
635338.  Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote

Quite interestingly, under the geological definition (an ocean is an area of oceanic crust covered with water) the Earth has three oceans.

The World Ocean (the large connected body of water subdivided into the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern and Arctic Oceans), the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea. And sometimes a fourth when the Mediterranean Sea is cut off from the World Ocean.

To answer your question, I think naming some bits as oceans and some bits as seas is just a convention, and there isn't any defined difference.

PedanticKnowitall
656046.  Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Just needed to point out that the translation of the Dutch national anthem in the Geography-episode was pretty flaky. It doesn't at all say "I pledge my life to the king of Spain" (or something similar) as said by Stephen. A more accurate translation would be "I've always honoured the king of Spain", the implication being that the Dutch had always been good and loyal to the king, but could no longer due to his religous persecutions and therefore were forced to rebel. Also, Groningen is an excellent city with a vibrant night life and huge student community, more like Bristol or Leeds than Guildford:)

Curious Danny
656129.  Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
My QI thing about Brazil regards the whole Brazilians-speak-Portuguese-the-rest-of-South-America-speaks-Spanish malarkey.

In 1494, the Kings of Spain and Portugal signed the Treaty of Torsedillas, dividing the world in half, with the north-south line lying approximately 320 miles west of the Cape Verde Islands, bisecting Brazil.

Spain was to have everything (that is, everything undiscovered) west of the line (ie most of South and North America), Portugal everything to the East (Asia, Africa). So the Spaniards went and conquered the Americas, taking their language with them. However, Pedro Cabral, a Portuguese explorer, accidentally discovered Brazil in 1500, and because he landed on the half east of the line, Portugal was allowed to keep the country; this is why Portuguese is still the language spoken there today.

A nice fact - the Pope declared Portugal could have everything on the east coast of South America due to the most spectacular bribe in history - the King of Portugal gave him an elephant!

soup
656164.  Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Not wishing to open old wounds, but I still think Amerike 'wins' it, as I [1]can think of no geographical feature that uses someone's first name (apart from Royalty).

[1] Not saying they don't exist just saying I can't think of one.

Curious Danny
656759.  Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote

What is the capital of Alaska

It is not Anchorage but in fact Juneau - you can win bets on that one

thedrew
656784.  Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:
suze wrote:

Not wishing to open old wounds, but I still think Amerike 'wins' it, as I [1]can think of no geographical feature that uses someone's first name (apart from Royalty).

Georgetown in the District of Columbia (now a part of the City of Washington) was named after George Washington.

There are as many claims to the origin of the name "America" as there are nationalities in it.

Italians and Spaniards see "Americus;"
Mestizos and Nicaraguans see Amerrique Mountains;
Africans and Mexicans see the Mayan: "iq' amaq'el;"
Scandanavians and white supremacists see "Ommerike" or "Amteric;"
Native Americans see the Algonquin "Em-erika;"
Hungarians see Saint Emeric of Hungary;
Irish see "Amalrich," the Gothic lord of the work ethic;
English/Welsh see Richard Amerike.

No one knows where the name comes from, but everyone wants it to come from their homeland. What is certain is that its popularity comes from the 1507 Waldseemüller map which names Vespucci as the origin.

CB27
657121.  Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote

Don't forget that originally only the coast of America was discovered, in essence it was the "seaside", which in Celtic is "Amorica", and was the previous name for the region we now know as Brittany.

soup
657124.  Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote

thedrew wrote:

Georgetown in the District of Columbia (now a part of the City of Washington) was named after George Washington.

From:-http://media.www.blackcollegeview.com/media/storage/paper928/news/2008/01/27/CommunityProfiles/Georgetown-3183356.shtml

The origin of Georgetown's name has long been disputed by historians. Founded by George Beall and George Gordon as the town of George, it's unknown whether the town was named for its founders or the English King George II.

No mention of George Washington there.

thedrew
657235.  Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I shall tell my friend at Georgetown Law School to stop telling me lies.

thedrew
763952.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:

Casper, Wyoming is named after Fort Caspar, which itself was named after Lieutenant Caspar Collins of the 11th Ohio Cavalry. It was not named Fort Collins, because there was already a fort named after Caspar's father in Colorado by that name.

Finally!

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next