View previous topic | View next topic

Important Announcement

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sophie.A
627713.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
This will involve deleting nearly all of the threads in this forum. The only threads which will remain after the clear-out are "Qing Qong - The Archive" and "1,720 Uses For Sausages", since they are, broadly speaking, actually QI-related work, and "MENTAL maths", since it is recognised as one of the fullest explorations of that particular problem currently available on the internet.

Could you also spare the Number Fact Game thread and the Odd one out thread? They are also rather QI-related threads (plus there is still a quite interesting unsolved puzzle in the latter thread).

Neotenic
627715.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote

I've just looked through about five pages of that first link, and didn't see anything even remotely interesting. And a lot of repetition. And a lot of repetition.

Similarly, I can't see anything in the Odd One Out that would conceivably be used in the show.

Toast 'em, I say.

Sophie.A
627719.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Similarly, I can't see anything in the Odd One Out that would conceivably be used in the show.

Really? I can remember some odd-one-out questions on various QI shows myself.

Neotenic
627740.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote

Yes - but of the three on that thread, can you really imagine Stephen reading out the answers on the show? That's the acid test for me in this respect.

I realise that the two you submitted represent a certain amount of effort, but nobody has really bothered to try the third one. Hardly in the same league as Qing Qong, is it?

Of course, it's easy for me to be cavalier as I rarely venture into Games, and when I do it's just to wonder how 'say something...' or 'ban someone...' can still be amusing to people when it's basically the same gag 5,000 times in a row.

I imagine I'll have rather more to say on the matter if/when the WFHIT forum is put in the gunsights. I think there are a couple of threads I'd be precious about, but they are very few and far between. Not least because most threads end up with someone calling me a nincompoop, or similar.

samivel
627750.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote

I thought that was what we were supposed to do. You nincompoop. Or similar.

;)

Neotenic
627751.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote

Thanks, sam.

I was starting to wonder if I was really in the right place.

dr.bob
627755.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote

Sophie.A wrote:
Could you also spare the Number Fact Game thread and the Odd one out thread? They are also rather QI-related threads (plus there is still a quite interesting unsolved puzzle in the latter thread).

I think the Number Fact Game started well, but went downhill a bit. When people start talking about not only the Peugeot 406, but also the Peugeot 407, you know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit.

As for the Odd One Out thread, while the answers to the questions are mildly interesting, I agree with Neotenic's assessment that I can't really see any of them being asked during an episode of QI.

Thanks for bringing these threads to my attention, but I'm afraid that I'm all too wary of saying yes to one thread meaning I'll have to say yes to another 50 threads. If a thread deserves to be kept, then I think it has to either meet some pretty extraordinary levels of interestingness or be directly relevant to the tv show/books/annuals in some way.

Neotenic
627760.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree with Neotenic's assessment

I think I'm going to get that framed.

bemahan
627762.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote

You'd better be quick!

dr.bob
627772.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote

Perhaps I should've prepended it with "for the first, and only, time"

QiScorpion
627784.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote

*head melts*

It's a relief that the popular threads will be reinstated. But it's a shame that the rest of the forum is going to have to go for a while - how long before the popular games can be reinstated, dr.bob?

exnihilo
627792.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Not will, can.

MinervaMoon
627808.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Not will, can.

Yes, the point here is that if you really want to play "games" with each other, the QI boards are not the most obvious or helpful place to do it--which is what dr.bob was diplomatically trying to insinuate by saying that

aforementioned wrote:
there are limits to what we can do and it is generally felt that keeping huge archives of trivial games is not the best use of our resources.

The QI Management has been very generous in letting us use the boards for more than strict research purposes, but as research is, after all, their original and primary function (see: the research forums at the bottom of the main page), I think we need to be understanding when threads that are not very useful to the QI researchers need to be pruned, despite personal attachments to them. Given a forewarning, you can easily save to your personal hard drive any threads of particular interest to you that you would not like to lose.

NinOfEden
627840.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote

[raises hand]
Wouldn't it be less... disappointing(?) if you just deleted any topics on any forum that hadn't been replied to for, say, 6 months, + deleted any users that hadn't posted for a similar length of time? + maybe prune topics that had over an agreed number of pages? I mean, the games forum is still being used regularly by several members, + although it's hardly world-shattering stuff we discuss here, we're having fun + not annoying people who want serious conversation.

austinallegro
627851.  Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote

I asked about that regarding users a few months ago, and it twere a no.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next