View previous topic | View next topic

Random Factoids

Page 14 of 172
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 170, 171, 172  Next

JumpingJack
5974.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:40 am Reply with quote

Thank you, Commander, that's just what I needed to know.

Commander
5978.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote

I thought you might.

Frances
5985.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote

Adam was buried by the angel Uriel and the archangel Michael. No word about Eve.

JumpingJack
5986.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote

Here's something I bet you didn't know.

In ancient Greece, victors at the Isthmian and Nemean games were crowned with celery.

The Latin word for parsley is 'apium' (supposedly because bees like it). Celery and parsley belong to the same family and Latin uses the same word for both. The species used for victory garlands is Apium graveolens, or water-parsley, known to us as celery.

s: ALD

Hercules is said to have been awarded a crown of celery, poplar, and wild olive. The ancients sometimes called celery 'ambrosia'.

www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/celery-msg.html

Last edited by JumpingJack on Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Frances
5988.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote

Food of the Gods? Poor souls, they need a better chef Unless they're all trying to lose weight, of course..

BobTheScientist
5989.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Commander wrote:
The coastline length around mainland Great Britain is 11 072.76 miles.

Whoop whoop fractal alert. On what scale is this? Walking? High tide or low? To the nearest hundredth of a mile? That's 18 yards accuracy. And if I walk round this boulder on the ouside that's 11,072.77 miles. I was talking to a teacher last night whose student this year walked 42 miles of the Wexford coast with a GPS gizmo and then worked out the distance on a 1:50000 map and at larger scales with dividers and got different answers. Love to have a source for that Our Commander....

Jenny
6004.  Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Of course it was the food of the gods Frances - if they got fed up with wearing the wreaths they could just pop them in the pot for dinner.

Frances
6007.  Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:48 am Reply with quote

A new slant on 'Darling, you look heavenly! God enough to eat!'

That was meant to be 'Good' but the slip fitted...

BobTheScientist
6091.  Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:18 am Reply with quote

Never knew that division:

"Uranus is bright enough to be seen with the unaided eye, but appears as a dot of light that can be very difficult to distinguish from nearby stars."
src: http://www.umich.edu/~lowbrows/guide/eye.html

So The Antients were not such good astronomers after all. Thousands of years, no television, much less cloud cover in the cradles of civilisation than we get in Britain today, and they can only find the five really obvious wandering stars. I'm disappointed.

On the other hand only 6 of the Seven sisters (Pleiades) can be seen with the naked eye.
http://www.crystalinks.com/pleiades.html
I've heard an argument for the latter that the 7th sister used to be brighter and was a test for really acute vision. But that argument won't wash for Uranus.

Stapes
6096.  Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote

The two arms of a boomerang aren't identical. One has a sharp inside edge (the leading arm), and one has a sharp outside edge (the dingle arm). Someone called Lorin Hewes christened it the dingle, or dangling arm.

In order for the boomerang not to lie flat in the air (which would mean it would fall out of the air, or just not come back), the dingle arm needs to have a sharpened outer edge, as it is destined always to fly through air which has already been disturbed by the leading arm.

You get more lift if you sand your dingle arm.

S: How to Dunk a Doughnut (Len Fisher)

Frances
6103.  Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that a hunting boomerang is more accurate on the homeward leg of the triangle?

Jenny
6104.  Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote

Jared Diamond writes in Guns, Germs and Steel about the practical grasp of aerodynamics shown by the Aborigines in developing the boomerang, as an example of why their lack of development of western technologies is obviously nothing to do with any innate lack of capacity in the people themselves.

Flash
6105.  Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Do you think it's right to say that they "grasped aerodynamics", or did they just find a shape that worked and then reproduce and refine it?

sunnucks
6107.  Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I really think you can find everything you need to know about boomerangs from Jim Mayfield of Colorado Boomerangs (yes, the Yanks have even overtaken the world in Boomerang technology.)

Mr Mayfield rejoices in the "recreational throwing" of boomerangs and is clearly a very splendid fellow indeed.

http://www.coloradoboomerangs.com/index.html

hardie
6228.  Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:58 am Reply with quote

I can't remember which string contains the vqi tale of the great molasses drowning disaster, but it reminded me Reisfeldt Syndrome, which effects anyone who has been (metaphorically) defecated on from a great height by an object of adulation, care or respect:
Quote:

(1998, Paderborn Germany) Overzealous zookeeper Friedrich Riesfeldt fed his constipated elephant Stefan 22 doses of animal laxative and more than a bushel of berries, figs and prunes before the plugged-up pachyderm finally let fly -- and suffocated the keeper under 200 pounds of poop! Investigators say ill-fated Friedrich, 46, was attempting to give the ailing elephant an olive oil enema when the relieved beast unloaded on him like a dump truck full of mud.

"The sheer force of the elephant's unexpected defecation knocked Mr. Riesfeldt to theground, where he struck his head on a rock and lay unconscious as the elephant continued to evacuate his bowels on top of him," said flabbergasted Paderborn police detective Erik Dern. "With no one there to help him, he lay under all that dung for at least an hour before a watchman came along, and during that time he suffocated. "It seems to be just one of those freak accidents that happen."
www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1998-09.html

Page 14 of 172
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 170, 171, 172  Next