View previous topic | View next topic

The most unwanted piece of land on Earth

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Basvolkers
588233.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Yeah that's Sealand, built on an old British sea fort. But it is claimed by the UK and is, since 1987, within the territorial waters of the UK. It is not recognised by any other country in the world. You can't really take it serious since no more then a couple of people could actually live there.

QI land, or Bir Tawil as it was formerly known is 2060 km2 big and means waterwell in Arabian. So you could put quite some Ignorants there. :)

nitwit02
588320.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah that's Sealand, built on an old British sea fort. But it is claimed by the UK and is, since 1987, within the territorial waters of the UK. It is not recognised by any other country in the world. You can't really take it serious since no more then a couple of people could actually live there.

As I once worked for Prince Roy, I expect to receive a knighthood before too long. (I've already dropped hints to crown-prince Michael ....)

Curious Danny
588393.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote

Then what is the most wanted piece of land on earth?
Maybe the land about Ypres or something, if we had to decide on number of military involved.

Basvolkers
588422.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote

I think probably western Russia, The amount of people who died there in the First and second world war is amazing.

Financially probably Manhattan or Singapore, if you look at landprizes and the amount of taxes raised.

suze
588431.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote

That would be one way of looking at the question, certainly. Although it wasn't specifically Ieper / Ypres that either side wanted; the Germans wanted all of that part of Europe, while the British just didn't want them to have it.

There are half a dozen areas of land which are claimed by both China and India; those would have to be considered as wanted by rather a lot of people. The Trans-Karakoram tract is sort of claimed by Pakistan as well*, which adds even more people.

Or we could consider the territory which is claimed by the most countries. That seems to be Navassa Island, in the Caribbean Sea south of Guantánamo Bay between Haiti and Jamaica, and discovered by one of Columbus's expeditions.

That island was claimed by the USA in 1857 under the Bird Shit Act† and is administered as an unincorporated territory. But Cuba, Colombia, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, and Mexico all also claim it, all but Haiti rather half-heartedly.

* Pakistan ceded de facto control to China under the Sino-Pakistani Border Agreement 1963, subject to the matter being reopened at such time as the Kashmir question was finally settled. Since Pakistan claims all of Kashmir, it can't be said to have relinquished all claim to the Trans-Karakoram Tract.

†Properly the Guano Islands Act of 1856. Under that act, the USA awarded itself the power to take possession of any island anywhere in the world which was not under another jurisdiction and which was considered to have commercially useful bird shit deposits. Haiti claims that Navassa had been under its jurisdiction at the time and was illegally annexed by the USA.

Basvolkers
588454.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote

The Spratly Islands are claimed by China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia and Brunei claims some waters as part of its Exclusive Economic Zone.

Wikipedia states that the claims of Cuba, Colombia, Honduras, Jamaica, and Mexico on the Navassa Island are dormant

suze
588484.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote

Basvolkers wrote:
the claims of Cuba, Colombia, Honduras, Jamaica, and Mexico on the Navassa Island are dormant

I know ...

suze wrote:
Cuba, Colombia, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, and Mexico all also claim it, all but Haiti rather half-heartedly.

"Dormant" would imply that the claim is not being actively pursued at the present time, but hasn't been relinquished.

Neotenic
588487.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Financially probably Manhattan or Singapore, if you look at landprizes and the amount of taxes raised.

I think Hong Kong would beat out Singapore, and give Manhattan a run for its money, so to speak.

Davini994
588506.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote

Zurich had the highest office rent spaces in the world last time I looked, which was admittedly a while ago.

Starfish13
588534.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
Can't we split it down the middle?

conveniently, there is already a wall dividing Western Sahara, so its ripe for rebranding as Bemaland and Ningland.

Curious Danny
588539.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote

I imagine that the most wanted piece of land on Earth actually changes over time. The above mentioned islands claimed for Guano are perfect examples - they were very attractive when covered in fantastic fertilizer, not so when they had been exhausted.
The least wanted bit of land probably doesn't change as much, unless changes in the Earth's climate make deserts turn green again, like the Sahara was thousands of years ago, then the Bir Tawil triangle might be quite attractive

Basvolkers
588541.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote

@ suze

Sorry, I misread

suze
588570.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote

No problem, Basvolkers.

I really don't know why the USA persists with its claim to Navassa Island. The bird shit has been mined out, the lighthouse which the Americans built has been dismantled, and the only people who go there are Haitian fishermen. (The USA pretends not to notice, so long as they don't stay very long.)

Apart from anything else, wouldn't it be good international PR - and Lord knows, the US could use some - to cede the island graciously to Haiti? Haiti could then embrace Haitian/American friendship and rename it Île Wyclef Jean or something. I'm sure the other countries who claim it would renounce their claims if that were to happen.

Or does the US want to keep it because it's where a swimmer from Guantánamo Bay might end up? It's 100 miles away though, so the chances of an escapee pitching up there would have to be considered as remote.

bemahan
588631.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
NinOfEden wrote:
Can't we split it down the middle?

conveniently, there is already a wall dividing Western Sahara, so its ripe for rebranding as Bemaland and Ningland.

Handy - as long as we can see over it should we want to have a neighbourly chat.

Basvolkers
588927.  Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I really don't know why the USA persists with its claim to Navassa Island.

I've always felt that countries are way more childish than people. Exactly the same with the FYROM/Macedonia naming dispute. How can Greece care so much about a name. It's like if I would get angry because your name is suze and my left leg is already called suze. Therefor you can't be called suze cause then you might claim my leg.
Person Formerly Known as Suze would be fine though.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2