Balls

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JumpingJack
3182.  Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:52 am Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/bllcks/facts/three.shtml

According to BBC Wales, worryingly entitled: "Nutty facts: number seven":

Quote:
Variations on two testicles is unusual but not unheard of. According to records kept during World War II detailing the health of conscripted men, there were nine cases of men with three testicles.

JumpingJack
3183.  Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:54 am Reply with quote

Also:

Nutty facts: number nine

Quote:
Human ejaculation occurs at an average speed of twenty-seven miles an hour. It is unclear how this was measured.

Flash
3187.  Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Were the Medici originally doctors, then, as the name suggests?

The sources I looked at thought that the "three pills" badge was a visual pun on their name, rather than a reference to their actual occupation.

The business about the Mayan captain being sacrificed is something I got from the guidebooks at Copan when I went there. The idea was that it was an honour to be sacrificed. I'll delve further, though.

Last edited by Flash on Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

JumpingJack
3189.  Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:09 am Reply with quote

Well then, Sir Flash, I must most profusely apologise for my hectoring tone.

That is a primary source of the first water.

Though I suppose, he said in a tiny-weeny voice, guide books can sometimes be wrong...

JumpingJack
3190.  Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:10 am Reply with quote

I think there's an enormous book of mine on the Maya in the QI office. Might be worth messaging brackett, who will know where it is, and ask if he can help.

Frederick The Monk
3930.  Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote

The town of Rock Creek Lodge, Montana, USA holds an annual Testicle Festival.

I don't think I need say any more.

s:http://www.testyfesty.com/

Jenny
3939.  Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote

More boobs than balls on display in their photographs though... very un-American (they're terribly prudish over here, you know).

Frederick The Monk
3980.  Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote

On further investigation the festival does seem to be somewhat misnamed. I shall send an irate letter to the organisers.

hardie
4013.  Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Back to the honour of sacrifice - I don't know about the Maya but this is what the Inca's were up to, it seems...
Quote:
"Beautiful beyond exaggeration," is how one Spanish chronicler described Tanta Carhua. Carhua was a ten-year old Inca child whose father offered her to the Inca Emperor as a Capacocha sacrifice. She was taken by priests to Cuzco where she met the Inca Emperor, and on her return journey to the mountain where she would be sacrificed the procession passed through her home village. According to the legends, Tanta Carhua told the village: "You can finish with me now because I could not be more honoured than by the feasts which they celebrated for me in Cuzco."
Very little is known about Capacocha, the sacred Inca ceremony of human sacrifice, but with each new archaeological discovery of a sacrificial mummy, more is revealed. The earliest and only known written accounts of the ritual are chronicles written by Spanish conquistador historians. From the chronicles and from each new discovery of a mummy, the pieces of this great puzzle are put together to reveal an intricate and extremely important ritual that involved sacrifice of children, worship of mountains as gods, and elaborate burial procedures.
S:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/peru/worlds/sacrifice1.html

ryewacket
4434.  Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote

I can't find any real excuse for posting this, but it needs posting here because it is, in fact, the greatest headline ever written on a genuine pretext:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=270580&cc=5739

And there are balls in it.

Jenny
4761.  Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote

Nice site here http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3883/trivia.htm

I gleaned these nuggetoids from it, but there are plenty of others:

Quote:
Black Balls - Three black balls hung in a vertical line on the mast indicate the ship is aground. - Coast Guard Navigation Rules

This one isn't ball-related, but I like it:

Quote:
Bamboozle In today's Navy, when you intentionally deceive someone, usually as a joke, you are said to have bamboozled them. The word was used in the days of sail also, but the intent was not hilarity. Bamboozle meant to deceive a passing vessel as to your ship's origin or nationality by flying an ensign other than your own -- a common practice of pirates.

However, the site does perpetrate the 'brass monkey' myth.

ryewacket
5120.  Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Ping pong ding dong over oddball ruling
PING PONG fans have branded it the daftest thing since officials decided to put different colours on opposite sides of the bat.
The sport's ruling body has decided table tennis balls should be bigger -- by 2mm.
The ruling, to make the sport more watchable on television has delighted manufacturers but players are baffled -- and clubs have been left wondering what to do with millions of outdated balls.
Typical is the reaction in Northamptonshire, where officials described the plan to increase the size of 38mm balls to 40mm as "silly".
They are reluctantly shelling out for a whole new batch at 50p a time because players will be barred from competition if they do not.
A spokeswoman for the International Table Tennis Federation confirmed the rule change would come in October after the Olympic games.
She said: "The bigger balls make the game easier for spectators and better for television cameras."
The increase in size will make the ball easier to see and slow the game down by an estimated 14 per cent.
But what to do with those old balls?
Ken Muhr of the English Table Tennis Association said: "It's a major exercise. We are talking about millions and millions of balls."
One league in North Yorkshire had the brainwave of handing them to a bingo hall -- but the offer was rejected.

(Metro (London) 3 July 2000)

Flash
5124.  Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote

I've got some more on this. The decision was taken, endorsed by a large majority, at the General Meeting of the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) in Kuala Lumpur in Feb 2000. The only real dissension seems to have been over the date on which the change should be introduced: 1st Oct 2000 or 1st Sept 2001. The minutes record that "The primary argument for the earlier date was that such a monumental decision merited an effective date as soon as possible", and sure enough, that was the decision taken.

But the controversy didn't stop there. At the July 2003 AGM of the English Table Tennis Association (ETTA) the incumbent chairman of twelve years, Alan Ransome OBE, was replaced by Alex Murdoch, who stood against him and defeated him by a large majority. At the same meeting a decision was taken to ban the playing of "21-up" games in favour of "11-up" scoring. The new Chairman was immediately faced with a threatened disaffiliation crisis from disgruntled traditionalists. His statement appealing for unity can be found at http://www.etta.co.uk/ (7/7/03):
Quote:
Now is not the time to disrupt the opportunity for us all to work together and implement changes that are necessary for the long term good and progress of our great sport. ... I do not want to be the Chairman who lost members during his first 90 days or be involved in all the rules and regulations which disaffiliation will bring, I want to be remembered for helping the sport move forward and bringing back the era when England was recognised as a great table tennis nation. We can only do this together not apart.

So, I shall post on the General Ignorance thread:
Q: How many points do you have to score to win a game of table tennis?

ryewacket
5127.  Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote

So he nearly caused a bit of a schism-schosm?

Flash
5128.  Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Looks that way, reading between the lines.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next