View previous topic | View next topic

Bards

Page 1 of 1

Jenny
4212.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm starting this thread to point out to everybody that there is now a QI Poets and Poetry thread in the outer darkness, where anything that can be subsumed under the heading of poets can also apply to Bards and thus qualify as a B word.

I put a few posts on about Coleridge, who was a very interesting chap indeed, and this seems to have mutated into something about poets who are mad.

Last edited by Jenny on Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
4213.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Note post 4203 from Liebig, who tells us that the physician who took Coleridge into his house knowing that he had a 'problem' (as we would say nowadays) with laudanum was previously unacquainted with him.

I also like the factoid that Coleridge's family said he was insane when they bought him out of the army, which he had joined briefly in an attempt to avoid his student debts at Cambridge.

Jenny
4220.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote

When Byron was a student at Cambridge, he is supposed to have kept a pet bear in his rooms.

hardie
4224.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote

They were common as pets - my great grandfather kept one chained to the mantelpiece . Must have been quite small since his favourite jape was to hide it in the beds of his guests.
Yes, this should probably be under Bears.
On the subject of poetry my experience is that more people write it than read it. (The wife by the by is a poet and a damn fine one)

Jenny
4226.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Well I do a bit of both, hardie (writing it and reading it, that is) though I've never tried to get any of it published. Is your wife's poetry published anywhere?

hardie
4237.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Are we allowed product placement ? OK, three collections since you ask, Kerry Hardie, Gallery Press -''A Furious Place', 'Cry For The Hot Belly', and 'The Sky Didin't Fall'. And a novel, 'A Winter Marriage', pub by LittleBrown in the US. Someone has to pay the mortgage..

Jenny
4238.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll see if I can get hold of any of them :-)

JumpingJack
4239.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Heartily second the view that Kerry Hardie is a damn fine poet.

Page 1 of 1