4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

Kevino7
32632.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote

Any fans?

Rory Gilmore
32694.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote

That was a great program, but I only saw it thrice.

Jenny
32768.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote

I think we probably need Frederick the Monk to give an informed opinion on this one.

Rory Gilmore
32771.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Time will tell.

Celebaelin
32835.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote

It's a wargame like any other, the results are as dependent on the refereeing as they are on just about anything else. I remember watching one where a group from the army took part and one of the crucial moments it seemed to me was when the computers' elephants stopped and turned around. I can't say for sure but I've always believed that elephants, being intelligent animals, just want to get as far away from a battle as quickly as they can so if they get a chance they 'do a runner' and if you're lucky they might be back with the rest of your army in time for the next battle. It's a question of probabilities at a guess but I'd say it's fairly unlikely that Nellie is going to come back for more. I believe that Scipio's Defence (as per Zama) relies on this fact. If you leave gaps/channels in your line enemy elephants will run through them and away rather than head towards a solid mass of troops because they don't want to die. It's a bit more complicated than that because of mahouts and such but essentially that's the idea.

<E> Is it Zama or Zamua? I could've sworn I'd seen it as Zamua but can find no trace of this spelling (except as am ancient kingdom in what is now Iraq, a totally different thing) and it is referenced as Zama in Richard Holmes book The World Atlas of Warfare and elsewhere.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 3 times in total

Rory Gilmore
32879.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote

I suppose you've got to make what's infront an easier path than what's behind, if you want them to charge.

Celebaelin
32881.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:03 am Reply with quote

Yep. That and not make it entirely obvious to the human, who has some control in the steering department, that the light infantry screen is going to melt away and expose a gap for the elephant to flee down. Having said that I haven't been able to find that written down on the net.

I've checked Richard Holmes on the subject but other than saying well drilled infantry have little to fear from elephants he's not very forthcoming. He does mention that Alexander was faced by elephants at Gaugamela to no great effect but Alexander did leave an escape route though not through his lines in the way that Scipio did if I'm right about him* but rather he left a lot of space between his left flank and the opposing Persians so when the elephants charged forward (there were chariots behind and on both sides of them) they still had a possible route off the battlefield. Neither elephants nor chariot horses are going to charge a phalanx (lots of long pointy spears packed tightly together) if they have a choice; Alexander gave them one and won the battle, routing the Persians under Darius III.

* I'm not! Or maybe not - a suggested battle map (see post 620429) show a single large gap in Alexander's line which map have been used as an 'escape route' by the elephants.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory Gilmore
32958.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote

So the more vicious looking your defence, the better you elephant based offence.
Quote:
Having said that I haven't been able to find that written down on the net.
You've just answered your own prayer.

Kevino7
39094.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote

it appears that Julius Caeser isn't attracting any fans.

Kevino7
39095.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Any unamed Generals that you believe are elite generals?
Please give reasons.

iluphade
39104.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Fans off the program will be intrested in Rome: Total War; a great game striving for historical accurism. Timecommanders uses the game to portray the battles, and it's great fun to replay historical battles.

Kevino7
39108.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Got it. The selucid Empire is the best. Cataphracts and Elephants are a great offence.

Rory Gilmore
39110.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, the Total War games are great.

Kevino7
39114.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Got Barbarian Invasion?

Rory Gilmore
39124.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote

No, I only actually own Shogun.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next