View previous topic | View next topic

Random Factoids

Page 32 of 258
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 256, 257, 258  Next

Jenny
272086.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Dingbat, the Furry King wrote:
Anosmia was mentioned in one of the TV episodes in connection with William Wordsworth being a sufferer. The reason that I'm bring it up again is that a recent article in The Guardian also related how there was evidence that it was an early indicator of both Parkinsons disease and Alzheimer's.


Depends on the cause of it surely? A friend of mine had that and it was caused by polyps in her nose - polyps removed, problem solved.

 
smiley_face
272122.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Or a cold. I can't smell anything, but I seriously hope I've not got any kind of neurodegenerative disease.

 
Dingbat, the Furry King
272169.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Dingbat, the Furry King wrote:
Anosmia was mentioned in one of the TV episodes in connection with William Wordsworth being a sufferer. The reason that I'm bring it up again is that a recent article in The Guardian also related how there was evidence that it was an early indicator of both Parkinsons disease and Alzheimer's.


Depends on the cause of it surely? A friend of mine had that and it was caused by polyps in her nose - polyps removed, problem solved.


Definitely! Just as all headaches aren't brain tumors ... I've racked my remaining brain cell and I can't remember the context that The Guardian published it in ... possibly in an article about either Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. As I said, I don't want to alarm anyone ... I've already managed that with my neighbour ... he mentioned that he had no sense of smell and I thought I'd try and sound impressive and told him that it was called Anosmia and that he shared it with Wordsworth ... that's when I went too far and mentioned the potential Parkinson's/Alzheimer's connection ... he then told me that two of his brothers had Parkinson's and were Anosmic. An uncomfortable silence ensued. I hope I've not don it again!

 
austinallegro
272681.  Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote

Words in which the vowels appear in alphabetical order-

Abstemious- practising temperature in living.
Abstentious- charcterised by abstinence.
Annelidious- the nature of a annelid.
Arsenious- contaning Arsenic.
Casesious- having a blue colour.
Facetious- trying to be funny at the wrong time.
Fracedinous- production of heat through putrefracation.

 
jonog
275077.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote

Leo Fender- first owner of Fender Guitar designed all Fender guitars without being able to play guitar at all

 
Jenny
275232.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote

Got a source for that assertion, jonog? I haven't seen that anywhere else.

 
dr.bob
275252.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote

http://www.blamepro.com/fendertone/history_leo.htm

Quote:
Although, by his own admission, he "could not play a note," Fender went on to be inducted into both the Rock and Roll and Country Music halls of fame

 
Jenny
275255.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote

Thanks dr.bob - that one might be fun for the F series.

 
Dingbat, the Furry King
275462.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote

jonog wrote:
Leo Fender- first owner of Fender Guitar designed all Fender guitars without being able to play guitar at all


That is so cool! ... that has to be the best factoid I've read in ages! ... well done!

 
mckeonj
275549.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote

New York was originally nicknamed 'The Big Onion' in the 19th century, because of the overpowering stench of horse urine in the streets.
With the advent of the motor car, the streets became much cleaner, and so New York was re-named 'The Big Apple'.

 
Efros
275580.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
New York was originally nicknamed 'The Big Onion' in the 19th century, because of the overpowering stench of horse urine in the streets.
With the advent of the motor car, the streets became much cleaner, and so New York was re-named 'The Big Apple'.


Don't get the connection between horse urine and onions, also this link suggests other possible origins of the name.

 
QiScorpion
276327.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote

laptop batteries decrease in battery power if you leave them charging past the full power limit.

source: my own laptop, regrettably....

 
gerontius grumpus
276363.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
laptop batteries decrease in battery power if you leave them charging past the full power limit.

source: my own laptop, regrettably....


It must be all that onion flavoured horse urine leaking out.

 
epicurian riddler
276809.  Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote

Apologies if anything I post in this thread from herein have been mentioned before, I have far too fickle an attention span to read through thirty-two pages of facts just to see if mine have already been mentioned.
Cantankerous of me i know :)

Snails apparently reuse their 'slime' trails rather than constantly lay new tracks, to aid better efficiency, which naturally is what nature is mainly all about.

Snail 'slime' is both a glue and a lubricant. The snail pushes until the the structure of the glue breaks, at which point it glides forwards. When the snail then stops the glue structure of the slime reforms, sticking the snail to vertical and upside down surfaces.

Baboons apparently have a sense of preperception in much the same way as humans in that they can imagine what is over the next hill and plan accordingly where they want to go first - what orchard/ section of forest if you will - and structure their day, in a very similar way to the way in which humans go shopping.
(Probably didn't word that very eloquently I admit)

 
Davini994
280620.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Kryten in Red Dwarf is believed to be the first Android/Robot to give a human the finger on screen.

Source: wiki.

 

Page 32 of 258
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 256, 257, 258  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group