View previous topic | View next topic

Football

Page 8 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

jamesy227
261540.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote

Is the highest ground in the world the national stadium for Ecuador. Think its about 8-9000 ft above sea level and gives them a big advantage when playing at home as other teams aren't used to it.

Think they even beat Brazil recently

suze
261589.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote

The national stadium for Ecuador is the Estadio Olímpico Atahualpa in Quito, which is at around 9,400 feet. Bolivia's national stadium is the Estadio Hernán Siles in La Paz, which is higher still at 3,637 meters (11,932 feet). FIFA tried to ban its use for international matches, but ultimately backed down when it realised that Bolivia has few other stadiums of a suitable quality.

But it is not the highest professional football ground in the world.

jamesy227
261605.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote

Well if its not in South America I am struggling.

Unless it is in South Africa. I know some of their rugby grounds are at a high altitude as it is always mentioned that the ball can be kicked further because of this.

....unless this is a trick question, maybe the highest ground in the world is coventry city's old ground

samivel
261676.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I know the answer to this, so when I get the Strictly Come Duncing DVD, at least there'll be one question I can answer.

:)

suze
261689.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote

South Africa certainly has some fairly high up sports grounds, and I'm dare say that Mongolia does as well - this suggestion was made to me in a PM earlier today. I don't know how much football is played in Ulaan Baatar, but in any case the city is at a "mere" 4,000 feet.

But OK, the ground which is the answer is in South America - there is at least one club ground there at higher altitude than the national stadium in La Paz.

Sadurian Mike
261839.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Well here's my best guess, in white to avoid being a meanie if I'm right.

Real Potosi of Bolivia, 4070m

suze
261911.  Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Good guess, but no cigar. We need to go higher !!

jamesy227
262240.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote

Well, i give up.

I've googled it and everything and still cant find it

suze
262382.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote

OK, I guess it's about time I revealed the answer.

The highest professional football ground in the world is the Estadio Municipal Pasco in Cerro de Pasco, Peru, which stands at 4,380 meters / 13,973 feet.

The club which played there was the one and only Deportivo Wanka. That club's name arouses a certain amount of gigglage in Britain, but Wanka is actually the name of an indigenous people who lived in the area. The city of Huancayo - where the club was formed - is named for them.

At the start of the 2004 season, Wanka was struggling a little in the Peru Premier League and decided on drastic action to improve its results. Consequently, it moved its home games away from the stadium in Huancayo to the one in Cerro de Pasco - hoping that opponents would struggle with the altitude and the snow.

Deportivo Wanka was relegated that year, and now plays in Peru's third division.

ivor
262384.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote

As those who've spent some time on the Duncefloor recently will know!

Flash
262392.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote

suze, I think we'll have that one for the notes, if we may. These days we try to avoid questions that actively prompt for smut, so we probably wouldn't use a question like "Why did the Deportivo Wankas end up in the third division?", but this would be good info for Stephen to have up his plastercast in a discussion of football generally.

Actually, on second thoughts ...

djgordy
262406.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
"Why did the Deportivo Wankas end up in the third division?",

Were they demoted for persistent hand-ball?

Davini994
262407.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Smashing bit of info Suze.

Flash wrote:
...this would be good info for Stephen to have up his plastercast in a discussion of football generally.

I wish I had a team of highly intelligent and knowledgable elves employed in making me more interesting;)

djgordy
262425.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote

The only football league/premier league team whose name does not include any letters in the word "mackerel" is Swindon Town.

Footballer Steve Archibald appeared on the same edition of Top of the Pops in 1982 twice. Once as a member of the Scottish national team ("I Have a Dream") and once as a member of the Tottenham Hotspurs team ("Ossie's Gone to Wembley").

96aelw
262430.  Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
That club's name arouses a certain amount of gigglage in Britain, but Wanka is actually the name of an indigenous people who lived in the area.

I wrote an essay about their pottery, once. Very hard to attempt to say anything sensible while referring to "Fig. 1 - A Wanka potter". Sufficiently tricky, in fact, that one could argue that having chosen that particular case study almost constituted an act of self abuse.

Page 8 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next