View previous topic | View next topic

A personal reason why I hate "The Sun" (spit)

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ian Dunn
164895.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote

I came across this Sun article by accident on fark.com.

It was an article about the furry fandom, of which I'm a proud member of. For those of you who don't know, it is the fandom around anthropomorphic animals. Examples would include Micky Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Sonic the Hedgehog and Watership Down.

Anyway, this article was about three couples who, as we furries say "Yiff", whilst dressed as animals ("Fursuits" are the techincal term).

I hate this sort of thing. The furry fandom is not that well known in Britain, but if this is what people are going to think about it, it doesn't put people like me in a good light. I don't mind what people do in their private lives. I don't mind yiff at all. Heck, I even enjoy it. But what I do hate is when the media depict everyone in the fandom as perverts (or rather "Furverts"). The general stereotype of furries is that we are a bunch of gay perverts who want to yiff real-life animals.

Why can't the media, particually in Britain, depict us in a nice way? We furries have the same problem in the American media as well, and the Wikipedia article on the fandom is constantly vandalised. Maybe it's something we at QI could do in series F, I don't know.

The Sun Article (Warning - Some mind find the content offensive)

Last edited by Ian Dunn on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Martin
164907.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote

Oh, you saw the article too?

Yeah, I wasn't really happy about it either. I'm a happy member of the furry community too, although I don't dress up in a fursuit. I am a fan of the art and the stories but that's as far as I go.

However I am tired of the constant misunderstandings most people have between anthropamorphism and bestiality. They are not the same thing at all.

There are always going to be difficulties for peole to truly get the fandom as it is very difficult to define. I just don't go around blasting it to every single person I meet and generally stay out of trouble. We already have a bad enough reputation than for the Sun to make it worse. <sigh> Oh well, that's the media for you.

Mr Grue
164911.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote

The Sun also seem to suggest that it's mainly the guys that dress up. The girls remain "normal" by wearing ill-judged and tacky lingerie.

Ian Dunn
164912.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Oh, you saw the article too?

Yeah, I wasn't really happy about it either. I'm a happy member of the furry community too, although I don't dress up in a fursuit. I am a fan of the art and the stories but that's as far as I go.

However I am tired of the constant misunderstandings most people have between anthropamorphism and bestiality. They are not the same thing at all.

There are always going to be difficulties for peole to truly get the fandom as it is very difficult to define. I just don't go around blasting it to every single person I meet and generally stay out of trouble. We already have a bad enough reputation than for the Sun to make it worse. <sigh> Oh well, that's the media for you.

Hay! Another furry! Do you have a fursona?

Neotenic
164913.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote

This, to me, hits on one of the wonderfully ludicrous things about mass media and public opinion in the UK.

There is one thing that fuels all entertainment gossip and a large majority of other 'non-news' articles that clutter up these abhorrent publications - nookie.

As a nation, we are totally obsessed by nookie, but also still quaintly repressed about it all. This means everyone is desperate to find out about it, but also crushingly embarrased. The net result is that we get these bizarre articles either condemning or ridiculing fringe practices that are chock-full of juicy details for everyone to go away and have a long hard....erm...'think' about in private.

It's certainly nothing new - there's a CSI episode from a couple of seasons back that revolves around a furries convention, IIRC.

I think that the fundamental crux of the matter is that the Great British Public is so desperate to conform and comply that anyone brave enough to step away from the pack, for pretty much any reason, is a target for empty ridicule from those without enough imagination to do something interesting and different for themselves, those who a crazy break from the norm is watching Channel Five instead of ITV. To a lesser extent, those of us in the metal community (that's the music, not the commodity) get the same sort of things. No, I'm not a satanist, nor do I bathe in pigs blood. Thanks for asking.

The way I see it, if the morons are throwing rocks at you, you're probably doing something right.

Ian Dunn
164915.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote

Well, there's a documentary about the furry fandom coming soon to Channel 4. It's supposedly before the watershed so there shouldn't be anything yiffy about it, but then again, it's a Channel 4 documentary.

Mr Grue
164921.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote

I was surprised at the negative reaction to Dirty Den's webcam escapades. There was that marvelous quote, which I think validates the point Ian is making, along the lines of the recipient being disgusted by it all, but within the same breath saying that it had gone on for about three months. We hold our hands up to our face so that we may peek through the fingers...

King of Quok
164924.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

Perhaps I should send The Sun a photo of me in my Gruffalo costume and see what they make of that?

164925.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote

Typical. furries have all the fun, you should try being human like me, all we ever get is shat on from a great height, no matter what we do!!!

Mr Grue
164928.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Just as well you put that glass coffee table there, then.

violetriga
164946.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Of course something like The Sun is going to look at the extreme side of something - it's not worth reporting about otherwise. The fact that you have let it wind you up shows that you don't ignore it like you should.

Anyway, each to their own and all that but I do find it all a bit strange.

Ian Dunn
164954.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
Of course something like The Sun is going to look at the extreme side of something - it's not worth reporting about otherwise. The fact that you have let it wind you up shows that you don't ignore it like you should.

I suppose so. I guess I do take myself a bit too seriously.

Lucifers_Lady
164962.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Lucifers_Lady on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Dunn
164963.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Lucifers_Lady wrote:
I'm sorry i dont get this...are you bemoaning the fact that some people might think that you are weird because you choose to dress up in animal suits because some people who dress up in animal suits get their sexual kicks that way?

I bemoaning the fact that it is hammering home this stereotype that all we furries are interested in is sex, whether it be dressed up or not.

ficklefiend
164968.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote

It's pretty well accepted on the internet that furries are to be laughed at, but you must admit yourself, there is an awful lot of bad furry art out there.

The Sun lie about everything anyway, I wouldn't base an opinion on a single thing they say. Let's face it, there is a lot more popular and well-known stuff that they would put out there as "wierd" or whatever- "oh no, something slightly different!!"

I can't be too sympathetic because I'm an animu cynic, but I get what your saying. Jerks.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next