View previous topic | View next topic

Bacon-Erdos-Sabbath number

Page 18 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Zziggy
1101946.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Did a bit of digging. Obviously I have no Erdos number, but my supervisor has one of at most 4. So maybe some day I can claim a Bacon-Erdos number of 8 :D

suze
1101962.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote

For Jenny's Bacon number we have to go decidedly sensu lato but we can perhaps claim 3.

Alexander Armstrong has a Bacon number of 2. This does of course mean that anyone who appears on Pointless gets a Bacon number of 3.

Jenny has not appeared on Pointless, but she did provide a voice performance as Sarah Jane Smith for a sketch which was performed at a Doctor Who convention in the US. (Elisabeth Sladen had died the previous year, and so was unfortunately not available.)

That sketch was written by a woman who used to post to these forums under the name Minerva Moon. How she did it I don't need to know, but Ms Moon also got Alexander Armstrong to lend his voice to that sketch. Video of that sketch is certainly on Facebook and possibly also on YouTube, which some argue makes it good enough for Bacon numbers to apply.

As for Sabbath numbers for members of these here forums. The easiest way to do it would probably be to make a QI Forums charity single, and ensure that Spud McLaren of this Parish is involved. Spud has a Sabbath number of 4, by virtue of having once been in a band with a fellow called Phil Doleman. Mr Doleman in turn played uke on a John Otway record, and Mr Otway leads us via Würzel of Motörhead to Ozzy Osbourne.

pinklady
1101965.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote

I say we should go for it! I've seen enough posts making mention of musicality among the forum populace to convince me it's a goer. Happy to lend my voice to the choir...

Zziggy
1101966.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm in.

franticllama
1101973.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote

I think its time for bed as my ability to read has gone completely out the window. I have suffered from my second youlgreave in as many minutes which lead me to wondering why the masculinity of the forum populace would help in a choir...

CharliesDragon
1101981.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Jenny has not appeared on Pointless, but she did provide a voice performance as Sarah Jane Smith for a sketch which was performed at a Doctor Who convention in the US. (Elisabeth Sladen had died the previous year, and so was unfortunately not available.)

That's quite interesting.

suze
1101986.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Here it is on YouTube.

The diminutive Asian-American woman who plays Sarah Jane is Ms Moon, but the voice that speaks her lines is Jenny's. It was pre-recorded, and neither Jenny nor Alexander Armstrong were actually at the convention. But the rules of Pointless allow a voice performance to count as an appearance in a movie, and it seems appropriate to rely the rules of Pointless when discussing Mr Armstrong.

CharliesDragon
1101987.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote

*Thumbs up* Turns out Jenny is even cooler than I thought. :D

Jenny
1101996.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote

The funny thing is that all of us who did voice-overs for that recorded our lines at home and sent them as sound files to Minerva Moon, who edited them all together. However, it's immensely cool that it gives me a Bacon number of 3, regardless of how sensu lato that is.

Celebaelin
1101999.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote

Having by dubious methods arrived at an assertion that my BES total is 11 (B4, E6, S1) I have decided that I must do more to try and reduce this - I've not as yet heard anything as regards my suggestion of a Fluid Dynamics publication with Terence Tao* (for E3) or my Big Fantasy Movie/Series@ script (for B1) but I feel confident that an invitation to join Sabbath in the studio can only be days away.

Quote:
The lowest known Erdős–Bacon–Sabbath number is 8, a value shared by physicist Stephen Hawking,[39] neuroscientist Daniel Levitin[40] and inventor Ray Kurzweil,[41] all of whom have an Erdős number of 4, a Bacon number of 2, and a Sabbath number of 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s_number

* Clearing up the 'confusion' as regards the microscale of turbulence - obviously I'll let Tezza do the sums and I'll just add my name to give it an air of respectability.

@ It's going to be huge, you'll love it.

MinervaMoon
1112893.  Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Here it is on YouTube.

The diminutive Asian-American woman who plays Sarah Jane is Ms Moon, but the voice that speaks her lines is Jenny's. It was pre-recorded, and neither Jenny nor Alexander Armstrong were actually at the convention. But the rules of Pointless allow a voice performance to count as an appearance in a movie, and it seems appropriate to rely the rules of Pointless when discussing Mr Armstrong.

You won't hope to find me lingering here, but Google brought this thread up when I was searching for another DW-related thing I'd done, so I felt obligated to say hello.

The voices for the sketch were obtained in a number of ways. Jenny as Sarah Jane and Paul as Tom Baker were personal contacts, and thus recorded independently and emailed their lines to me. John Leeson I contacted at a convention via a letter a friend delivered; he emailed me the very next day with his lines and some sweet words about Lis Sladen. Anjli Mohindra was at the convention; I had gotten in touch via Facebook in the days prior and she came up to my room the day of the show for last-minute line recording.

Alexander Armstrong should have been the trickiest, but was unexpectedly low-stress: I had emailed John Lloyd asking if he could forward my request, and he replied with Mr. Armstrong cc'ed. We arranged a time and date and met in a Costa in London. He left before I did and when I tried to pay for my coffee, I was told that he'd taken care of it. Such a small gesture but it was already his favor to come all the way to meet me, so I was touched.

leilamcdonald
1345178.  Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote

Hey guys! Could you please explain what is a erdos bacon sabbath number ? I am really curious, because I am the kind o person that likes all this stuff related to numbers. I believe in numerology, and I am studying everything related to numbers. I truly believe that every number is a sign and has a special meaning! For example, the number 323 is a very powerful angelic number, and you can search on sunsigns.org to find it. I know the meaning of almost all numbers, but I still don't know what is erdos bacon sabbatch number ? Could you explain please?

<possibly spammy link redacted by Jenny>

Jenny
1345185.  Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote

Hi leilamcdonald - the very first post on this thread gives you this link - https://www.metafilter.com/117058/Whos-got-an-ErdosBaconSabbath-number - which should help. Your Bacon number is the number of degrees you are apart from Kevin Bacon. Erdos is a mathematician, and Black Sabbath is a band. Three people in the world seem to have a connection with all three of those entities, and thus have an ErdosBaconSabbath number - browse through this thread :-)

I have a BaconErdos number if you squint at it sideways, but can claim no connection to Black Sabbath.

suze
1345191.  Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote

See also post 918581, wherein I answered a fairly similar question which had been put by 'yorz.

Geography Guy
1345256.  Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Well, quite a serendipitous way to revive this thread... But if anyone's still interested, the Erdős-Bacon-Sabbath Project grew a fair bit since 2014! @timeblimp set up a website documenting all of the discoveries - sadly it's offline now, but still visible at https://web.archive.org/web/20180209010225/http://erdosbaconsabbath.com/. There's also a GitHub and a subreddit, whatever those are.

Turns out the EBS club may not have been as exclusive as previously thought! Depending on how strict you are with counting collaborations, I suppose. Some of my favourite more recent finds include Noam Chomsky (4+3+3), former neurological researcher Lisa Kudrow (11+2+3), dabbling pianist Condoleezza Rice (6+3+4), and the Mythbusters' Adam Savage (6+2+5). While we're here, and since time for more co-authorship/co-starring/collaboration has passed, any suggestions for more EBS holders?

On another note, it was nice to be reminded that this forum still exists. If you're reading this, I sincerely hope you're finding some forms of comfort and safety in these trying times. The world at the moment is, well, quite interesting...

Page 18 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next