View previous topic | View next topic

Interesting country facts and figures

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

suze
1031518.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote

It happened last week, so we may find out before too much longer ...

For now the Queen will stay on the stamps, but that is not guaranteed beyond the present reign.

The government has tried to enshrine a Royal presence on the stamps in statute, but has had to concede that it's a matter for Buckingham Palace rather than for the government. If Prince Charles, when he accedes to the throne, withdraws his permission to appear on the stamps then he won't appear on them.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1251431.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote

sally carr wrote:
Post and telephone boxes in the City of London are painted black.

I don't know about this for sure, but I do know that from 1930 to 1938 specially made pillar boxes painted blue were used only for airmail post. They were first introduced in London and then gradually spread to the regions. When I visited Windsor in the late 1980s there was still one in situ.

Bondee
1251448.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote

It was still there when I was working in the town in 2004. We used to walk past it on the way to the pub on Friday afternoons. I haven't been back since so I couldn't tell you if it's been removed in the interim.

cornixt
1251451.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote

I always thought the black phone boxes were for private companies rather than BT.

Baryonyx
1251553.  Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote

Saw some cream coloured ones in Hull

ali
1251556.  Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote

Baryonyx wrote:
Saw some cream coloured ones in Hull

The Hull telephone system has been independent of the GPO/BT since 1902, and the cream coloured boxes reflect that.

AlmondFacialBar
1251559.  Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote

Did I mention I once saw a green police box in Sheffield? To quote the friend I was with at the time: "Oh look, a Yorkshire TARDIS".

In related matters, Ireland still boasts a fair few letter boxes with Royal insignia that were simply painted green after independence. There's a VR one in Dalkey and ER VII ones are actually quite commonplace.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1251560.  Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote

We used to have a ER VIII round here at one time, can't remember for sure where it was, so I can't check.

AlmondFacialBar
1251565.  Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
And actually, a similarly broad figure for Berlin wouldn't be a million miles away either. (But would be even harder to determine. No one really knows how many people there are in Germany who are of Polish ancestry, but whose forebears adopted German names in the 30s and 40s.)

Actually the place to look for people of Polish ancestry in Germany (by which I don't mean arrivals post 1945) is the Ruhr region. Polish miners started arriving from Upper Silesia in the mid-19th century and people from other regions, particularly Kashubia, soon followed. In the early 20th century about 16% of the area's population were first generation Polish migrants, and today it's still the region of Germany with the most Polish names in the phone book.

In the context, this might interest you regarding the nationality of certain (former) German internationals...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhrpolen#Kontroverse_um_den_FC_Schalke_04

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8