View previous topic | View next topic

N4 XL - Posthumous Nobel Prizes

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1212548.  Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote

In the XL version of Noble Rot, Sandi says that the Nobel Prize is never awarded posthumously. Actually, there have been four posthumous Nobel Prize winners.

The rules are that you cannot nominated someone who has died, but there have been people who have been nominated while they were alive and then died before the prize was given. These are Erik Axel Karlfeldt, winner of the 1931 prize of literature; Dag Hammarskj÷ld, winner of the peace prize in 1961; William Vickrey, who learnt that he had won the prize of economics in 1997 but died three days after the announcement and so was never able to collect the prize himself; and most recently Ralph M. Steinman for medicine in 2011, because the judges were unaware that he had already died when they announced his nomination.

Sources: Noble Prize.org and Quora

Bondee
1212601.  Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote

There was something on this episode that I wanted to raise a quibble about too, but I can't remember what it was.

I watched it less than an hour ago. I think my brain might be (noble) rotting.

suze
1212651.  Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote

There is a certain irony around Dr Steinman and the fact that he had died before his Nobel Prize was awarded.

His prize was for work on the immune system. Shortly after completing his book on that subject, he was unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas. He refused conventional medical treatment for the cancer, and instead treated himself using a novel method based on the work for which he was awarded the prize.

Less than successfully, it would appear ...

Page 1 of 1