View previous topic | View next topic

name dictates future/job?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Mort
653004.  Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote

You'd be a fan of the Feedback section of New Scientist. They have a running theme of exploring nominative determinism.

Feedback 07 October 2006 wrote:
BACK to the subject of names: "Is this a case of onomatopoeic nominative determinism?" asks Gary Humble of New Scientist's story on the European Space Agency orbiter's crash landing on the moon (2 September, p 5). There, chief mission scientist Bernard Foing is quoted as saying, "It's likely to ricochet off the surface."

Feedback 25 February 2009 wrote:

READER Laurel Daniel says she knows we have said we don't want any more examples of nominative determinism, but she still thinks we might be interested in the convergence of name and talent demonstrated by Jolee Bacon, the Idaho woman who won first place in the Nez Perce County Fair hog-calling contest.

A short trawl of a famous web search engine (FWSE) reveals that 2008 was the first year that women - not only Jolee Bacon of Idaho but also Doris Probst of Illinois - started to beat men in these hog-calling contests, which involve squealing, oinking, snorting and generally making noises like a pig.

We were pleased to learn this, and we were also pleased to be informed by Meredith Lloyd-Evans that he recently came across the headline "Swine Vets Invited to Apply for Hogg Scholarship". This was followed by the explanation: "The American Association of Swine Veterinarians Foundation is to offer the Hogg Scholarship, established to honour the memory of longtime AASV member and swine industry leader, Dr Alex Hogg."

Meredith tells us that this information was "gleaned in surprise" not from the FWSE but from www.thepigsite.com, which is a mine of information about all things swiney.

Feedback 25 February 2009 wrote:
Turning to something quite different, Ben Haller tells us of a paper in Science (vol 321, p 417) entitled "Evolutionary origins for social vocalization in a vertebrate hindbrain-spinal compartment" one of whose authors is A. H. Bass. The paper is actually about fish, Ben tells us, and the vocalisations are of the low-frequency variety, making Bass a rare example of double nominative determinism.

Feedback 12 November 2005 wrote:

AND as we seem to be on that subject yet again, we may as well mention that Henry Marsh claims to have come across a case of quadruple nominative determinism. We would actually put it somewhere between triple and quadruple - but that is still pretty impressive. Marsh is referring to the book The Imperial Animal by Lionel Tiger and Robin Fox.

Lastly on this topic, Alex Gough has discovered that the chair of anaesthesiology and pain management at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, is William J. Tranquilli.

With regards to Fenella Fudge, I cannot help but chortle every time I hear her name. And now I'm friends with her on Facebook too! Or someone claiming to be her, at least.

swot
653297.  Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote

I subscribe actually :) and feeback is the first page I turn to.

djgordy
653322.  Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote

I'm sure this person was on the other thread but, in view of the snow and ice we are currently experiencing, I cannot help but give a mention to weather presenter Sarah Blizzard.

swot
653944.  Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote

:D

graytart
653949.  Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote

In my hometown there was an optometrist named O.U. Read. My father once went to a dentist called Dr. Payne. In my professional life I came across both a Dr. Doctor and a Dr. Nurse. As well, one of the founders of Physicians for a Smoke-Free Canada is Dr. Andrew Pipe.

Celebaelin
653954.  Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Vanilla Fudge was (and, amazingly, still is) an American rock band best known for an excruciating and interminable cover version of You keep me hangin' on.

I think they're best known for the film they made at The Edgewater Inn in July 1969 with a groupie being sexually stimulated by the insertion of a mudshark (or, according to first hand accounts, a red snapper). This incident was immortalised by Frank Zappa on his Live at the Fillmore album (June 1971).

Quote:
But the true shark story was that it wasn't even a shark. It was a red snapper and the chick happened to be a fucking redheaded broad with a ginger pussy. And that is the truth. Bonzo* was in the room, but I did it. Mark Stein [of Vanilla Fudge] filmed the whole thing. And she loved it. It was like, "You'd like a bit of fucking, eh? Let's see how your red snapper likes this red snapper!" That was it. It was the nose of the fish, and that girl must have cum 20 times. But it was nothing malicious or harmful, no way! No one was ever hurt.

Richard Cole, Road Manager for Led Zepellin
* John Bonham - Led Zep's drummer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_episode

14-11-2014
1191589.  Tue May 10, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the batman character Dr. Friese (pronounced "freeze") being a cryonics expert.

In Belgium, mr The Fucker is the Mayor of Cunt Farms (mr Deneuker is the Mayor of Kuttekoven).

PDR
1191604.  Wed May 11, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote

Of course if nominative determinism was really an effective thing Michael Gove would have been christened "Lady Jane".

PDR

Zephyr
1211462.  Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote

After being mugged as a teenager the policeman that interviewed me was called PC Hardman, and later in life when discussing a cardiac condition, the cardiologist was Dr Burns.

In both cases the nominative determinism isn't quite 100%, maybe they made decisions to avoid the careers that would have made their names excruciating.

On a tangent, there are 2 names I've come across that are non ND related, but belong to people who on coming to english speaking countries find their names become humorous.

The first was a colleague of a friend of mine, the Asian Danish girl Purvin Maan.
The second maybe apocryphal, as I've only heard about him via email memes, but Phani Tikkala was allegedly an Indian contractor working in America.

Efros
1211797.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote

Again not ND, but there used to be a Dentist in Airdrie call Gordon Bennet.

Spud McLaren
1211818.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote

An ex-colleague swears that he went to school with a lad called Li Ping Fuk.

Efros
1211830.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Chinese restaurant in Edinburgh called the Sik Tek Fok, mentioned elsewhere on these illustrious pages. I have eaten there, but too drunk to remember.

spursystarman
1218401.  Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The term is nominative determinism, and means precisely what you suggest.

I remember a book called (I believe) The economics of weapons production written by one Michael Armacost.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2