View previous topic | View next topic

"Nothing worse than..."

Page 1 of 1

tetsabb
1067669.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote

Long ago I started a thread about the misuse of this phrase, and its counterpart, "nothing better than....". That thread seems to have been a victim of one of the occasional purges.

Yesterday I remarked about suze's post about the woman berating her and her colleague for smoking -- "there's nothing worse than an ex-smoker lecturing you about the evils of smoking" or similar. I used the phrase quite deliberately, as I feel it is grotesquely abused by many people.

Back in 2006 or whenever it was, we covered examples such as microwaved tea (bad) buying a new handbag (nothing better, allegedly), and many other subjects. The conclusions we came to were that there would be nothing worse than to live your life by a code of conduct, only to die, and find an afterlife run by a God who favours some obscure religious cult whose followers get to go to Paradise, while non-believers are condemned to an eternity of unpleasantness.
Conversely, there would be nothing better than to live as well as one could as an atheist, but find that there is a kindly God who considers that you did your best to be good to kittens, little old ladies and the environment, and reckons you deserve a good time.

So I'd be delighted to hear examples fellow forummers come across.

e.g. "There's nothing better than seeing <football team> getting thumped 3-0 at home"
"There's nothing worse than having your computer crash just before pressing the <submit> button to post a witty response to a comment on QI"

djgordy
1067678.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

Back in 2006 or whenever it was, we covered examples such as microwaved tea (bad)

I don't microwave tea but I have started microwaving instant coffee on the rare occasions I have it. It does make me feel rather sluttish but it means I only heat exactly the amount of water I need.

tetsabb
1067687.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote

The tea thing was prompted by an exchange with the doctor on our Blood service team; I was doing the refreshments table, and when Dr Martin was on, one always had a cup of tea ready for him. One day I had brewed one for him, he had a sip, but then had to go off and do stuff. When he got back it was cold, and I offered, tongue in cheek, to microwave it for him, rather than do a new one.
"There's nothing worse than microwaved tea" he responded. IIRC this was just after the invasion of Iraq in 2003, so I answered that "You could be in Basra". He smiled an said I had a point.

Alfred E Neuman
1067697.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I don't microwave tea but I have started microwaving instant coffee on the rare occasions I have it. It does make me feel rather sluttish but it means I only heat exactly the amount of water I need.

Of all the possibilities, it's the microwaved coffee that makes you feel sluttish?

djgordy
1067705.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote

I didn't say it was the only thing......

Troux
1067770.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
tetsabb wrote:

Back in 2006 or whenever it was, we covered examples such as microwaved tea (bad)

Use old/leftover coffee to make coffee ice cubes, with which you can make iced coffee that won't taste watered down after four delicious seconds.

On the other hand, I've become addicted to instant coffee lately because it's so readily available and I've found a delicious brand from Indonesia. Although it's only sold in Asian groceries, so I have to play Marco Polo every time I need to restock. There's nothing better than Kopiko Brown Instant Coffee, though.

ConorOberstIsGo
1067772.  Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote

http://thingsthatarenotworsethanhitler.tumblr.com/page/3

says it all.

tetsabb
1068766.  Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote

A former colleague just posted his response to the news of a win for Liverpool at the pig-bladder kicking game.
"Worst thing ever if they go on and win the whole thing"
I promptly asked if it would actually be worse than, say, 9/11, the Holocaust or crucifixion.
He did 'like' my comment.

AlmondFacialBar
1069246.  Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
A former colleague just posted his response to the news of a win for Liverpool at the pig-bladder kicking game.
"Worst thing ever if they go on and win the whole thing"
I promptly asked if it would actually be worse than, say, 9/11, the Holocaust or crucifixion.
He did 'like' my comment.

*shrug* Crucifixion is a doddle...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

swot
1069250.  Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote

You'll be fine after a three-day nap.

tetsabb
1069261.  Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Another thing people say that gets my goat is when you shew them a picture and they ejaculate, "Look"
This morning in the shop I was talking to a lady at the shelves of catfood, and we were talking about our feline overlords/ladies. I shewed her a pic of Theo on my phone, and she did just that.
I feel like saying, "I have looked, dummbass, now it's your turn"

Page 1 of 1