View previous topic | View next topic

Davies admits panel gets the questions before the recording

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

annebn
1018087.  Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote

It's not really a big secret that they prepare, is it? In the season 1 dvd audio, John Lloyd says that the panelists get some of the more obscure questions a few hours before, but not the answers, and that they are offered the help from an elf if they want to do some of their own research, but that few of them use it.

dr.bob
1018165.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote

I certainly know that there have been a few occasions where the elves may have wished the panellists were given more info before the show. There have been several occasions in the last few series where a significant amount of research has gone into producing a question which would lead on to a whole raft of interesting side notes. Problem was that none of the panellists knew the answer, and so that whole avenue of interestingness was simply abandoned on the night, thereby wasting a whole bunch of work.

One that sticks in my mind for some reason was a question about who invented the cat flap. The idea was that someone would say "Isaac Newton", whereupon the klaxon would go off, and a whole bunch of Newton-related stuff would naturally follow on. Trouble was, nobody on the panel had heard the myth about Newton inventing the cat flap, so they all simply sat around dumbstruck and Stephen was forced to move on to the next question.

eggshaped
1018168.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote

Hello all. Elf here.

My knowledge of this is that guests can get the questions when they arrive on the day (usually around 5pm for a 7:30 start) they don't all use the privilege (most newbies will, and I'm pretty sure Alan never does) they dont get the answers and they don't get the Gen Ig questions.

The point is to make people feel a little happier with what can be quite an intimidating show.

Our impossible questions and contempt for the scoring system should show that QI is not a quiz but a comedy panel show with a quiz format; though having said that, my belief is that we score remarkably highly in the improv percentage compared with all other shows. Virtually everything you see coming from the panellists on QI is necessarily improvised.

Finally, any suggestion that panelists get questions well in advance of the show grossly overestimates our ability to write scripts on time.

tetsabb
1018229.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Finally, any suggestion that panelists get questions well in advance of the show grossly overestimates our ability to write scripts on time.

Glad to see the Douglas Adams approach to deadlines is alive and well!

clack
1018233.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Thanks eggshaped for clarifying.

djgordy
1018243.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Our impossible questions and contempt for the scoring system should show that QI is not a quiz

djgordy wrote:
"Q.I." isn't a quiz

Woo hoo. Ten points to me!

PDR
1018263.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote

More like minus ten points.

This is QI, so you'd get klaxon'd for such an obvious answer.

PDR

CB27
1018265.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Our impossible questions and contempt for the scoring system

I have an image of Colin the scorer, mid munching on his hob nob, choking back the tears as he understand now why he was "accidentally" missed off the Christsmas party...

eggshaped
1018266.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote

This year we evolve beyond Colin. ;)

[/spoiler alert]

sally carr
1018273.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote

And what does Colin have to say about that?

AlmondFacialBar
1018288.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
eggshaped wrote:

Glad to see the Douglas Adams approach to deadlines is alive and well!

You took the words right out of my mouth...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

chrisboote
1018313.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote

It must have been while tetsabb was kissing you...

'yorz
1018314.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote

AFB! You floozy! :-O

tetsabb
1018365.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote

I have not given AFB a kiss since May, in Bristol.
This was a chaste kiss on each cheek IIRC, continental stylee

swot
1018367.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
This year we evolve beyond Colin. ;)

[/spoiler alert]

Are you borrowing the lovely Samantha?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next