View previous topic | View next topic

THE BATTLE OF HASTINGS

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jenny
41450.  Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote

You're going back and reviving all the dead threads single-handedly aren't you ElC?

Frances
41940.  Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote

And more power to your elbow, ElC. There's some good ones down there among the silt.

gerontius grumpus
41969.  Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote

hardie wrote:
Seamus Heaney claims that he once went into a bar in Derry and asked the price of a bottle of whiskey; ‘£10.66’ says the barman. ‘Battle of Hastings’ says Heaney. ‘ Never heard of it,’ says your barman, ‘ but I could do you a battle of Jamesons’.

Here's mud in your eye.

Or worse.

grizzly
99742.  Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Was this the first thread ever? I can't find a post number 1 only a number 2!

cornixt
100000.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote

idlerdan wrote:
didn't happen in Hastings, it happened in a town nearby called Battle. Anyone know any other mis-named battles?

Maybe Hastings was the only town nearby at the time and Battle only sprung up since then (and was named after the battle).

Tas
100076.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote

Isn't Hastings the general area rather than just the town. I live in London Colney, but it is part of the Saint Albans catchment area for taxation and voting purposes...

:-)

Tas

Flash
100095.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Was this the first thread ever? I can't find a post number 1 only a number 2!

Yes, this was the first thread, and the post listed as no 2 was the first one posted, really to see whether the system worked. I don't know why it isn't called no 1, but in fact the early posts originally didn't have numbers at all - those were added retrospectively when we decided we wanted to be able to cross-link. So maybe Dan had posted something before that one but then deleted it, and this was apparent to the automated numbering routine but not to a human observer.

Fimo
100144.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote

Didn't Wellington tend to name his battles after the town where he spent the night before? Is that battle naming etiquette - if you win you get to name it and the town which "offered" you hospitality gets a claim to fame?

Tas
100149.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote

Well, it would be better than calling a Battle "The Battle of The Soggy Field, covered in cow shit" would it not?

Tas

Fimo
100150.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote

Well I suppose so. But do the losing team call battles by a different name when they write their history books? Could lead to terrible confusion, but then on the other hand, could mean there have been only half as many battles as we think.

Tas
100152.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote

History is written by the victors...

Tas

swot
100154.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote

...and not the freds or the cedrics.

96aelw
100157.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote

Fimo wrote:
Well I suppose so. But do the losing team call battles by a different name when they write their history books?

The American Civil War is rife with this. The Union names for battles tend to refer to the nearest river, whereas the Confederate names tend to refer to the nearest towns. Thus there are the battles of Bull Run (North) aka Manassas (South), the battle of Stones River (North) aka Murfereesboro (South), the battle of Antietam (North) aka Sharpsburg (South) etc..

Fimo
100160.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote

Surely if the winner is not an invading force they have no control over how the losers report about battles when they get home. How complicated. Maybe it's all covered by the legal team who write up the Declaration of War . " Whosoever shall be deemed to be the winner of the aforementioned war shall have all history book and film rights regarding said war".

Jenny
100282.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote

In case anybody has never been there, the French Hall of Victories in Versailles certainly used to include such well-known French victories as Agincourt, Crecy and Poitiers.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next