Page 24 of 52
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

laidbacklazyman
9659.  Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Oh. OK. Any of them relevant?

eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm yes lots of them
*runs away embaressed*
not really what you are looking for, I'm just a stickler for googlewhaking.

Frederick The Monk
9662.  Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote

26th October is St. BEAN of Aberdeen's day. He was was the first bishop of Mortlach in Banff.

It is also St. ALFRED THE GREAT's day. Whilst the English do not generally consider Alfred a saint he was certainly the greatest king ever to rule over (a part of) England. More on that story later.............

Flash
9666.  Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Burnt cakes, that's what we want to hear about.

Frederick The Monk
9671.  Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote

If you want to know the real story behind the burnt cakes you'll have to wait until next October.

Jenny
9804.  Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote

Today is the 75th anniversary of the Great Crash. On this day in 1929, the Roaring Twenties ended...as investors got the bill for the first great bubble era of the 20th century. Stocks fell 10%. As it turned out, this was only the first installment payment and they continued to go down for the next 10 years. The nation went into the Great Depression, during which one in four people lost their jobs. Stocks did not recover until 1956.

Flash
9808.  Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote

I believe the Depression actually lagged the stock market crash by many months, so that they didn't seem to be cause and effect at the time. Can't remember chapter and verse on this - somebody ask Icarus.

DELETED
9912.  Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:58 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Jenny
9916.  Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote

I don't know - you don't see a garrick for ages, and then they all come at once...

Actually, November 1st is the feast of All Saints, also known as All Hallows (hence Oct 31st being Hallowe'en) and in the Anglican church is traditionally the day for remembering those who have died. In the Wiccan tradition it is called Samhain (pronounced Sowain) and is celebrated by setting up a small altar with things like flowers and fruit on, and pictures of the beloved departed, and by cooking a special meal and setting portions out for them. Whether the departed actually eat the portions is unknown to me.

And I have three friends who are currently participating in National Novel-Writing Month. The aim is to complete a 50,000 word (minimum) novel within a month. It's known as NaNoWriMo (because you haven't got time to write it out in full with so little time to spare I suppose) and they have a website - http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Icarus
9929.  Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Actually, a well known fact, from letters and recorded in Martin Gilbert's biography of him, is that Winston Churchill was in NY to witness the crash...and, unfortunately, lose some money. I seem to remember him writing to Clementine that he was at the NYSE on the day, but I'd have to check that.

As for the depression. Well yes, there was a rally round instinct, and, as Chernow points out in the House of Morgan, a co-ordinated effort by the Morgan influenced banks to control the situation (calm investors nerves, very public declarations of some wealthy people that they remained invested, etc). However, the Fed, tied to the gold standard, didn't lower interest rates. So Flash, in some sense, is correct. That said, the wealth (and confidence) that evaporated in the crash certainly had a deleterious impact on the economy. The tariff barriers erected in the aftermath didn't help either, but that's another story.

Beehive
9933.  Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote

November 1-5 last year was Sausage Appreciation Week.
10th January is Margaret Thatcher Day in the Falklands.
2nd April is National Concrete Day in Germany. Apparently.

Frederick The Monk
9999.  Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote

Here's a fun one. It's St.MALACHY O'MORE's day (3rd November). He was an 11th century Irish priest who was famed for his gift of prophecy. Whilst in Rome in 1139 he received a vision showing him all the Popes from his day to the end of time. He wrote poetic descriptions of each of the pontiffs and then presented the manuscript to Pope Innocent II. Sadly Innocent didn't seem too interested and the list was forgotten until 1590. In that year it was rediscovered and printed and the accuracy of his predictions have been hotly debated ever since.

This is perhaps not surprising as, according to St. Malachy O'More there are only two Popes remaining after John Paul II.

Frederick The Monk
10000.  Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote

It's also St. RUMWOLD's day.

Rumwold is another rather peculiar saint as he only lived for three days. The son of the Christian queen Saint Cyneburga, and the pagan King Aldfrith of Northumbria, during his short life he apparently repeatedly shouted "I am a Christian", which was a little precious, and asked for Baptism (which he received from bishop Wilderin) and Holy Communion. Immediately after Baptism, he made a confession of faith and then set about preaching a sermon on the Holy Trinity, reciting Scripture and the Athanasian Creed as part of his proofs. He completed this performance by predicting his death, and outlining his desired burial arrangements.

A statue of Rumwold at Boxley Abbey could supposedly only be moved by people who lived pure lives. Purity could apparently be measured by your gift to the abbey since if it was sufficient, one of the monks would operate a ratchet mechanism that helped move the statue. This was exposed and the statue burned during the Reformation.

One Sir Alured was chastised by the saint for swearing on his wedding day in 1282. Alured repented and cleaned up his language. However, at a royal feast some ice cream made his tooth ache, which caused him to curse with gusto. Romwold suddenly appeared in a window, and Sir Alured's bride disappeared in a puff of perfume, leaving behind her clothes.

Flash
10007.  Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:07 am Reply with quote

Fred, you're making all this up, aren't you?

Frederick The Monk
10010.  Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:20 am Reply with quote

It's ALL TRUE - ask the Pope if you don't believe me.

There are churches dedicated to St. Rumwold in Kent, Essex, Northants, Lincolnshire, Dorset, and North Yorkshire.

Frederick The Monk
10240.  Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote

7th November is St. WILLIBRORD's day. He is the patron saint of convulsions and Holland.

Page 24 of 52
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 50, 51, 52  Next