Such an incident has happened relating to our "Killer Mushroom Roulette" feature of Series 4. Towards the end of the question, Stephen said: "It's very, very rare. The last recorded death by mushroom in Britain is too long ago for anyone, basically, to be confident about."
Sadly, this information is now out of date, after an incident on the Isle of Wight last year where a woman in her 20s died after eating Death Cap Mushrooms. It just goes to show that despite our regular debunking of old wives' tales, some information that we are given as children is important: "wild mushrooms or plants should not be eaten unless the picker is certain it is safe to do so."
(with thanks to Bernadette Allen who brought this to our attention)
Do you have a bone to pick with QI? E-mail us here: firstname.lastname@example.org